Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Quilting

I  love to go to quilt shows and admire the women who make these beautiful works of art.  Quilts seem to be an expression of the person making them as well as the person who the quilt is made for.  Quilts can tell stories as well as just match the design and color of the room it is intendend for.  I have only dabbled in quilting a few times.  I enjoyed making all the quilts that I made.  Here are a few of my quilts.

This is the first quilt that I have ever made.   It is a lap quilt that I designed for my friend who lives in Michigan.  She lives in Michigan but is a huge Ohio State fan.  If you know anything about the Ohio State and Michigan rivalry you will know why that is such a big deal!! I appliqued the Ohio State logo on each block and then quilted around them.

This is the first full size quilt that I have ever made. It is a queen size.  I made it for my brother and his wife as a wedding gift.  The colors did not show up real well in the photos.  The green background is more of a mint green with different shades of purple.  I machine quilted it using a varigated pastel thread.  My sister in law loved it and they use it on their bed!!!


This is also a queen size quilt.  A friend's husband hired me to make it for her as a Christmas gift.  It is a T-shirt quilt.  It is made from a collection of her track T-shirts from high school and collage.  I had a lot of fun making this quilt.  I wish I could have been there Christmas morning when she opened it up and saw it!!


Quilts take a long time to make.  After making my first few quilts I now know why they are so expensive.  The cost of materials are pretty high and then the time you put into cutting out, sewing together, and then quilting.  I have a lot of respect for those men and women who make many of these works of art.  I get bored just crocheting a baby afhgan.  No wonder I don't quilt that much.  Plus my husband does not appreciate eating hot dogs every night for supper for 3 weeks while I confescated the kitchen table to quilt my brothers quilt!!!! 

1 comment:

Mary said...

Is that D and A's quilt? Not sure if I ever saw that one. I love it. Didn't you make one out of jeans? Keep up the good work, "Martha"