Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Afghans!

I love to crochet but I get bored with larger projects.  I try to keep things simple and small like baby outfits, toys, and sometimes a sweater or coat.  I have only made 3 afghans.  I think  afghans are beautiful and I admire people who make them.  I just get bored very fast and want to move on to another project.  My first afghan was for my cousin's baby that I made 7 years ago.  She had her baby two days before I had my second son.  So her baby got a new afghan and I did not make anything for my own.  Then a couple of years ago I fell in love with this afghan pattern.  It was a kit from Herrschners .  I love that company.  I ran out of yarn twice when I was finishing up the afghan.  Since I purchased the kit from Herrschners I called them and told them I ran out of yarn.  They sent it to me free of charge both times!!!  I entered it at my county fair and won 1st place with it in its category.


It only took me a couple of months to finish.  The granny squares actually worked up quite quickly.  I had to learn to loosen up my crocheting so the squares were the correct size of 12" squares.  I love the motifs that I crocheted separately and then sewed to the afghan.  My youngest loves this afghan and has deemed it his.  He puts it on his bed every fall!! 

Here is the baby afghan I just finished.  I used leftover yarn from the baby dress, hat, and booties that I posted earlier.  I love the design and the fact that it was granny squares too. Making granny squares gives you the sense that you are getting things completed.  Even though you need 90 some squares.  I broke this one up by rows.  I would crochet a row then sew it together.  Once I got 2 rows completed I started sewing each new row to the afghan.  This gave me a sense of accomplishment and made it seem like it was going faster than it actually was.  



After finishing this baby afghan I have really fallen in love with the granny square!!  Now I am looking for new ways to use the granny square in sweaters, vests, tops, etc...  Those will be my next projects when I finally finish with everything else I am working on.  My goal for this year is to finish all those projects that I have started that need completed.  I start things and have to stop because I need a baby shower gift, or a wedding gift, or a birthday gift, or I just plain get bored and want to do something else for a while (which is mostly the reason I have unfinished projects)!!!  But don't tell me husband that!!  He already thinks I have way too many craft things stored down in the basement!!

5 comments:

Manders 19 said...

You forgot to give props to your wonderful, great friend who was learning to chrochet who just happened to buy the peach yarn you needed to finish that wonderful blanket!!! All 2 feet of it!!!!

Creations by Dina said...

Sorry about that. I ran out of peach yarn with one granny square to go. It only came in a bulk size and I did not want to have to buy another one. My friend who is learning to crochet bought the peach to learn to make a blanket and let me use a little!! Thanks!!! I appreciate it. Happy Crocheting!!!

Abbi said...

I have the same issue with afghans with them taking too long! If I need a blanket I think I will stick to making quilts. I do love crocheting and knitting smaller and quicker projects.

Heritage Farmgirl said...

The blue and cream one is delightful

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

I have never seen that pattern before. It is beautiful! Wish I knew how to knit. Thanks for sharing.