Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Canning Carrots


I know carrots are not ready in the garden yet here in Ohio.  But sometimes when I find a good deal at the grocery store I stock up and do some canning.  Our local grocery store had  a 2 lb bag of organic carrots on sale for $1.99.  That was only a few cents more than the regular carrots.  So I bought 3 bags and canned them up so I could have them later.  I didn't get any carrots canned from the garden last summer and I miss having carrots in my pantry. 

Carrots like most vegetables are pretty easy to can.  I usually raw pack most of my vegetables.  It is so much easier and less time consuming.  I start out by washing the carrots.

Since these didn't come from the garden I don't have to scrub the dirt off.  So a quick rinse and then peel them.  Then I slice them up and put directly into jars.  Fill your jars leaving 1 inch head space.  You can add 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pint or 1 teaspoon of salt per quart if desired.  This is only for flavoring it does not help in the preserving process.  I normally don't add salt to my vegetables.  I add seasonings later after I open the jar and prepare it for my meal. 
After you fill your jars with carrots, cover in boiling water leaving 1 inch head space.  Wipe the rims of your jars with a clean dish cloth.  Then boil your new canning lids and place on jars.  Tighten rings by hand and place the jars in your pressure canner.  All vegetables must be pressure canned.  Put water in your canner according to the directions for your canner.  Then process for 25 minutes for pints and 30 minutes for quarts at 11 pounds of pressure.  Let your canner completely depressurise before opening.  Remove your jars and and let sit until completely cool.  Check all your jars to make sure they sealed.  If a jar did not seal put it in the fridge to use up within a week.  


Jars of Carrots Before Canning


Jar after they have been processed. 


I canned 9 pint jars from 6 lbs of carrots.  I had two left over that I just ate raw!!   

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Hm...that's a good idea. I usually dry my carrots, but they would last so much longer if I canned them :) Sometimes I get so excited with the dehydrator I forget there's other ways of storing :) Isn't it nice to get busy with an activity like this and know your doing good by storing food? I imagine it's fun for you like it is for me?

Creations by Dina said...

I love to can. It is relaxing and I enjoy it a lot. I love to look at all my jars of food on the counter. I think they are so pretty and it is very gratifying that I have all that food stored up for my family.

Amanda said...

Yes, canning is definitely relaxing. And I like that it's a job that actually gives you something out of it, you know? You're actually stocking up food, and making sure your family is prepared. It's not like other hobbies, say painting. Painting is fun and all, but you can't eat that painting!! This is fun AND beneficial!! I also love looking at them afterwards because you are so right, they are pretty!!