Monday, May 16, 2011

A Chicken in Every Pot

We don't have a large family, but since I am a stay at home we still need to pinch our pennies!!  One way I do that is to really stretch the meat I buy and make it last.  I will roast a chicken and divide it up into two meals.  Whole fryer chickens sell between $3 to $4.  So I can make two meals and spend only $2 on meat for those two meals.  I take the chicken out of its wrapper and rinse under cold water.  I then put it into  a round stoneware pan and cover it in herbs.  I normally use Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, and Parsley Flakes.  Sometimes I will fill the cavity with some celery and onion to add extra flavor.  Here is my chicken ready to put into the oven.
I then cover the chicken with foil and bake it in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.  I love the smell of the chicken roasting in the oven.  When the chicken is done I pull it out and let it cool slightly before I strip the bones.  Some of the skin came off with the foil.  Which is fine.  I remove all the skin and discard it.  Doesn't all that broth look good!!!  Don't you wish you could smell it?


Once the chicken is cool enough to handle I remove all the skin and discard it.  Then I start stripping the bones of all the meat.  I use every piece of meat I can.  I normally save the chicken breasts for chicken salad or something that I need cubed breast meat for.  The rest of the meat goes into another pot.  I shred it up or cut into chunks.  Don't forget to turn your chicken over.  There is a bunch of meat on the bottom too.  When I pitch the bones you don't see any meat left on them.  I then strain off the broth to use also.  I make shredded chicken sandwiches, creamed chicken, pot pie, chicken and noodles, pasta dishes, chicken enchiladas, and the list goes on and on.  If I don't use the other half the same week I will freeze it for later use. 
I normally buy one chicken a week so we can have chicken twice in a week.  I love it when I barter with my friend who raises their own chickens and she trades me with her free range broiler chickens.  Yum!!!  
When Herbert Hoover promised "A Chicken in Every Pot"  he did not know how true that promise would fit today.  During times when we need to watch what we spend I am glad that I can have a chicken in my pot and make it last for a couple of meals!!

1 comment:

Mary said...

That looks so yummy! We're coming to your house for dinner. Ha Ha