Monday, May 30, 2011

A Moving Tribute

Memorial Day took on a new meaning for my family this year.  We had a family member who was killed in the fighting in Afghanistan.  The family was notified on Friday.  It was in the news by Saturday night. 
We always celebrated on Memorial Day with picnics and we have a family picnic today.  But today for the first time it has really sunk in for my family.  The price that these men and women pay to insure our freedom.

This morning my cub scout group participated in our towns Memorial Day Parade.  I walked along with them since I am the leader of the Tiger group.  At one point in the parade as the cub scouts were walking into the cemetery a group of people started clapping for them.  These boys were proud as they carried the flags and waved to the nearby people.  The thing the most moved me was after the parade was over.  We were standing a good distance away from the ceremony going on at the cemetery.  We were waiting for some parents to come pick up their boys.  When they raised the flag and started singing the National Anthem I witnessed something amazing. 

First my son stood up and in his uniform saluted the flag. 


Soon the other Tiger cubs joined in and they all stood there in their uniforms saluting the flag.  An older boy not in uniform placed his hand over his heart.

To see these young boys who are only 7 years old realize the significance of this was truly moving.  I was so proud that my son thought to do this first and that his fellow cub scouts who I have taught all year joined in and truly showed us adults what today is all about. 

Please join me in honoring those who have fallen, those who are still serving, and those who serve at home. Please pray for the families who have lost loved ones.  Families who still have loved ones away from home serving their country.  Also don't forget to pray and honor our local men and women who serve us.  These are the firefighters and police officers around the country that fight every day to protect us here at home.  Today is a day of remembrance and honor.  Please take a moment today to do that.  Thank you and God Bless.

3 comments:

Dr. Momi said...

Thank You for a post that makes us think. You should be proud of your son --- you "did good".

ChupieandJ'smama said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your family member. My thoughts and prayers are with those that are left behind.

I love the picture of your scout. My boys both walked in our Memorial Day parade yesterday. It too was to the cemetery where there was a very moving service. The speaker said "The worst thing that could happen to you is to be forgotten". We explained to our boys why we remember on Memorial Day and why we need to remember every day.

Amanda said...

These wars are just so horrible, and when a family member doesn't come home, it's even worse. I"m sorry for your loss.

I love seeing the respect that those boys had, and the understanding that they have at such a young age. That was beautiful to see. Thank you for sharing.