Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dried Kiwi

I normally use my dehydrator to dry herbs, some vegetables,  and make jerky.  But after seeing all the wonderful things that Amanda does with her dehydrator at Grace's Journey it has inspired me to start using my dehydrator more.  I want to try and do more fruit this year.  Fruit can be canned into pie filling, which I do, made into jams and jellies and frozen.  Most fruits don't can that well.  I have limited freezer space, I try and save the majority of it for venison in the fall and winter, so I want to try and dehydrate more fruit to use on cereal and things throughout the year. 

I bought some kiwi the other day at a reasonable price.  They were 3 for 69 cents.  I just bought twelve and then asked Amanda how to dehydrate them. 

So I peeled them and sliced them about 1/4 inch thick.  I placed them in a bowl of water with citric acid added to it to help with browning.  Once I got them all sliced I pulled them out of the water and put them in my dehydrator. 

I only had 12 so the trays were not that full.


I set my dehydrator at 130 degrees Fahrenheit and put the lid on.  About 9 hours later they were ready.  Amanda said between 8-10 hours.  She was right!!  They dehydrated nicely.  I put them in a quart jar to store for later.  The 12 kiwi did not quite fill a quart jar.  I will get more later and continue to dehydrate them.  These will make a great snack when we are out bird watching!!



Thanks Amanda for your dehydrating tips!!!  I am eager to try more fruit soon.  The strawberries are starting to come on at the farm.  I will have to dehydrate a few batches after I make some desserts, jam, and freeze a few for smoothies!!!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm SOOOOO happy to hear that it turned out for you!! WOO WHOO!! If you've got any more questions, please feel free to message me :) I'm so glad I inspired you to dehydrate more :) It such a fun thing to do, and so rewarding to see all the food start to pile up that has been dehydrated!

ELP said...

I have never thought of drying kiwi. You are one very talented lady Dina. You live in a great part of the country to use all these wonderful yester year skills..{ this is what I call living well,frugal,and learning how to do things instead of just buying and replacing things}
I am off to the fiber fest in Estes Park Colorado in the AM. Very Exciting!!!

Creations by Dina said...

Thanks Amanda for inspiring me and giving me the directions to do it. It is so fun.

Eileen, I grew up on a dairy farm. I had 3 brothers. So with a family of 6 we did not have a lot of money. The "yester year skills" as you put it was how we grew up. It has just carried over. And I really enjoy doing it. Gardening, canning, dehydrating, making my own stuff, is very relaxing for me!!
Ok what is fiber fest??