Monday, June 20, 2011

Mulberry Jam

Mulberries are just getting ripe here in Ohio.  I went out to the farm today and picked a big tub of Mulberries.  If you haven't ever eaten a Mulberry they taste similar to a blackberry but are a little sweeter.  They grow on trees.  And are all over here in our part of Ohio.  I did not get any last year and this year the tree is loaded.  So today I made jam and spritzer concentrate.  Here is the process on how to make Mulberry Jam!!

First you need to wash your berries.  Get all the bugs out and rinse them.  Then let them drain in a colander.  Here is my colander filled with mulberries!!


Now you have to crush your mulberries and de-stem them.  The easiest way is to put them through a strainer.  I use my strainer and measure out 3 cups of mulberries while I am straining.  The strainer removes the stems and a lot of seeds.  You don't have to do this.  But it is a lot easier than de-stemming all the berries one at a time.  Plus we don't like a lot of seeds in our jam.  I do this also for raspberry jam.



Once I have 3 cups of Mulberries I measure out my ingredients and get ready
to make my jam.  Here are the ingredients.  3 cups Mulberries, 1/4 cup lemon juice,
 6 cups sugar, 1 pkg of powdered pectin.


Pour the mulberries, lemon juice, and pectin into a tall pan. 
Stir until the pectin is dissolved.  Bring to a boil stirring constantly.



Now add your sugar.  Stir until dissolved. 
 Bring back to a boil and boil for 1 minute.  Remove from the heat.


Skim off the foam with a spoon.
  Then ladle into hot sterilized jelly jars. 



Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean wash cloth.


Boil new lids in water.
  Then with a lid lifter apply the lids to your jars.


Screw on the rings and tighten by hand. 


Place the jars into a boiling water bath.  Process for 5 minutes.  Then remove jars and let sit on the counter until cool.  Make sure all the jars sealed.  If one did not seal put in the fridge to use up.  The rest store in your pantry for later use or as Christmas presents!!


Here are the jars of sealed Mulberry Jam!!  The taller jars are a 12 oz jelly jar I got from my Grandma.  They are really neat.  This batch made about seven 8 oz jars of jam.



Here is the recipe I used for Mulberry Jam

Mulberry Jam
3 cups crushed mulberries
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 pkg powdered pectin
6 cups sugar

To see other uses for Mulberries check out my other posts
Mulberry Spritzer
More Mulberries
Mulberry Pie


I am linking to  The Homestead Barn Hop







3 comments:

Ladybug said...

Dina great tutorial on making the
jam.. Sounds so yummy... have not
made any jams in years strawberry
/blueberry are our household
favorites..will have to try it again soon...strawberries are in
season.
Thanks for stopping by Blog DTCD/and touching comments..

Warm Summer Blessings
Trish-Ladybug

Melissa Carr said...

I love Mulberry Jelly...I don't know that I could get Mulberries locally in Eastern North Carolina (I'll have to search harder). Don't you just love your strainer...I got one last summer and it did an amazing job with blackberries!
Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a kind comment.
Many Blessings to you!

Mary said...

Hey come get more berries froom our place. We have a whole tree full. they are so good!!