Friday, June 24, 2011

Mulberry Pie

I seem to have a theme going this week.  Mulberries are here and I will keep picking them until they are gone.  So while they are here everything at my house is Mulberries!!

Here is how I make a Mulberry Pie



First you need to pick about a quart of Mulberries.  Then you have to de-stem them. There is no easy way to de-stem a Mulberry.  It has to be done one at a time.  I found that it went quickly by using a nail clipper to clip each stem off.  It also helped keep my hands from tuning purple.  Once I de-stemmed all the Mulberries I washed them to get all the little bugs and insects out of them. 
Then I gathered up the ingredients to make the pie filling.  Sugar, water, clear jel or cornstarch, and 1 quart of berries.  I also add a 1/4 teaspoon of Almond Flavoring to my fruit pie fillings.  It just helps enhance the fruit flavor of the pie. 


I was just shy of 1 quart of berries.  I picked these from my next door neighbors Mulberry Bush last night.  I picked from the trees at the farm in the morning.  I got almost 1 quart of  berries from the small bush next door. (Yes I did have permission to pick the berries,  he is a bachelor and does not use them, I gave him some Mulberry Jam)  I would have picked another handful this morning but it was raining and I did not want to get soaking wet to just add a handful of berries.  So I settled with what I had.  So in a saucepan put in 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup of clear jel or cornstarch and the berries.  Stir on medium high heat until thick and bubbly.  Remove from the heat and add the 1/4 teaspoon of almond flavoring.  Set aside while you make your crust.





Now for the crust.  You can use any recipe that you have to make a double crust.  This recipe has been handed down for generations from my family which is known for their pies!!  For a double crust I use 2 cups of flour, 10 rounded tablespoons of vegetable shortening, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 4 tablespoons of water.  Mix the flour, salt, and vegetable shortening with a pastry blender until it is nice and crumbly. Then add your cold water and mix in with a fork just until it holds together.  After that form to balls of dough and flatten into a disk.




Now you roll out the dough.  A little trick my mom taught me is to roll out your dough between 2 pieces of wax paper.  I dust the bottom piece with flour put on a disk of dough and dust with flour.  Then put the top piece on and roll out your dough.  It makes it easy to lift the dough and to center it onto your pie pan.  This recipe will make a 9 inch pie.




Now pour your filling into the crust.  Roll out your top pie crust.  Make sure you make some sort of slit to allow the hot filling to vent.  You can do this with a sharp knife, a cookie cutter, or any decorative pie crust tool.  A lattice top will work fine too.  However you want your pie to be.  You just need to make sure you leave a small space open for a vent. Before adding the top crust brush the edge of your pie with water.  This helps the two crust form a seal.



Once you have the top crust on crimp and seal the edges with your chosen style.  Everyone does this different.  Whatever way you choose is fine.  Just seal the top and bottom crust together.




One last touch I always do with my fruit pies is to lightly brush the top with water and sprinkle with sugar.  This adds a little shine to the top and also a little sweetness to the crust.  Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. 


Once your pie is done let it sit on a trivet or hot pad to completely cool.  I like to let my fruit pies completely cool before I cut them.  This allows the filing to thicken back up.  If you want a warm slice of pie put individual slices in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.  My family will be upset when they find out that this pie is not to be eaten today.  It will be for a church picnic tomorrow. 



My husband has learned to ask about all desserts in our house.  After eating a dessert that was meant to be taken to a picnic he know asks what a dessert is for before eating.  Enjoy your Mulberry Pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or just plain. Yum!!!

To see other ways to use mulberries check out my other mulberry posts

Here is the recipe for Mulberry Pie

1 quart of Mulberries, washed and de-stemmed
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup clear jel or cornstarch

Pie Crust (for a double crust pie)
2 cups of flour
10 rounded tablespoons of vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoons of cold water

 

6 comments:

Ladybug said...

Hi Dina
Picture Perfect Pie...Looks
awesome..Yummy too !!!
I'll be over for a cool glass of
Tea/piece of pie...:-)
Hugs
Trish Ladybug

Kathryn D. Duke said...

yummy, yummy and what a pie crust. I can taste it!!!

Mary said...

Do the Mullberries have seeds like the raspberries? When we eat the mulberries I'm not crunching any seeds. Maybe my dad could eat these in place of strawberries and raspberries. Pooooor family, always making yummies and they can't touch them. I can hear E now!! Ha Ha

Creations by Dina said...

Thanks for the comments. WE had the pie today at a church picnic. Everyone enjoyed it and loved the crust.
Yes the Mulberries have a lot of seeds just like the raspberries. They can be put through a strainer to remove most of the seeds though, which I do for the jam!

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

Thanks for swinging by for a walk. You are making me jealous with all of these mulberry recipes. It will be forever before my little guys bear fruit. We do have buffalo not far from here at Custer State Park. My friend from Denmark is coming this week and I'm sure we will be down there. I will try to get some photos for your son. Those big old bulls are like giant ships. Sorry if this is a repeat. I got distracted and don't know if the first one went through.

Hansen Family said...

Simply GORGEOUS pie Dina!!! We are growing Wonderberries (Solana) this year.. tiny little things but they will make a great pie. Thanks for the idea!