Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mulberry Spritzer

Mulberry Spritzer

I picked enough Mulberries yesterday to make a batch of jam and a batch of Mulberry Spritzer.  I have been wanting to make this for years.  The recipe calls for blackberries.  But I never can pick enough blackberries to make this and since mulberries are very similar I decided to try this. 
First I needed 3 quarts of mulberries that have been washed.  Place in a pan and crush.  Then add 4 cups of water.  Bring this to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.  Then strain through a jelly bag.


Add water to juice if necessary to make 2 quarts of juice.  Pour into a large kettle and add 3 cups sugar.  Stir until dissolved.  Place 1 tablespoon of whole cloves and  1 tablespoon whole allspice in a cheesecloth bag and add to juice.  Add 2 cinnamon sticks to juice as well.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  Remove spices and bring back to a boil.  Ladle into hot sterilized pint jars. 


Wipe the jar rims with a clean wash cloth


Boil new lids and place on jars using a lid lifter

Screw on rings and tighten by hand.  Place in a hot water bath and process for 15 minutes. 
Remove from the water and let sit on your counter until cool.  Once sealed put them in your pantry for future use or Christmas gifts!!  If any jars did not seal put in the fridge to use up.
To serve mix 1 part concentrate to 2 parts lemon-lime soda or club soda. 
I put mine in some champagne glasses to make it fun for the kids.
They loved it and kept asking for more. 

I was surprised at how good it tasted.  The spices added a little kick to it.  It was very refreshing.  If I make it again, (which I most likely will)  I will try a batch without the spices to taste the difference.  This makes 4 pints of concentrate.  Each concentrate will make a quart and a half of mulberry spritzer. Since I already used 1 pint up I will need to pick more mulberries to make more.  Yum!!!! 

Here is the recipe for Mulberry Spritzer

Mulberry Spritzer
3 quarts mulberries
4 cups water
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon whole allspice
2 cinnamon sticks

To see other uses for Mulberries check out my other posts

I am linking to the


7 comments:

Mary said...

Let's add a little something something to the spritzer and see if that is a good mix. Ha Ha

Creations by Dina said...

I guess you could add whatever you wanted to it and it would taste great!!! You could have an adult version and use the club soda for the kids!! Ha Ha!!

Millie said...

Sounds yummy! I love mulberries and the whole bush~very good to eat!

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

I love the recipe! I just planted two mulberry trees this year! Maybe 8 years down the road I can make this. I like your blog.

Deborah Jean at Dandelion House said...

Looks yummy! I just made chutney for the first time at an old fashioned Jam Kitchen class! Thanks for sharing it on the Farmgirl Friday hop!
Deb

Vicki said...

Have you ever made a spritzer with raspberries? Our 22 & 19yr old daughters love flavored water. We planted several different berry varieties in our garden this year. We harvested a couple of nibbles so we are looking forward to the next couple of years! We have grown raspberries for years & usually flash freeze them and pack in zippered freezer bags. We stored them in a smaller freezer(we have 3 upright)last year which my mom gave us after my dad passed. I'm glad part of our whole cow was not in that freezer, as we lost a good share of berries to freezer burn! I bought a spiffy, new vacuum sealer when our 3 yr old model burned out sealing green beans in July. I will vac seal berries in small quantities for smoothies & to add to desserts. I'm trying to find a less time consuming practice for berry juice. I salvaged as many bags of berries as possible & processed them into juice...a LONG process though! I just got done picking 1 row of raspberries, reaping about 7-8 quarts. I am excited to try your canned pie filling! I had a friend snag the Clear Jel from Shipshewana last week :) After seeing the mock pineapple, I wish my hubby had not pulled the zucchini bushes! Those candied pickles are next on the list...yummy recipes on your blog!

Vicki said...

I just pulled SEVEN quarts out of the cooker. My girls & I each tasted the drippings(I licked the spoon!)...DELICIOUS! A good share of our frozen berries are used to make Raspberry Delight, my family's favorite. I usually buy boxed Junket Danish Dessert by the case as it is so difficult to find in Grand Rapids, MI. Although the Clearjel was not in any of our local stores, I was willing to look far & wide for it. I won't have to worry about the liquid ratio anymore. Using frozen berries my filling/topping would be runny & not set. I am so excited to have jars to open & pour onto the cream cheese base!! THANK YOU.