Thursday, July 7, 2011

Black Raspberry Jam

My mother was kind enough to pick 2 quarts of black raspberries for me.  So I decided to make some jam.  I am still healing and I am feeling better every day, but after putting the raspberries through the strainer I was tired.  So I put them in the fridge and made the jam the next morning.  Here are the steps to make black raspberry jam.

First you need to quarts of black raspberries.  Wash them good to get rid of all the bugs!!  Rinse and crush the raspberries.  I like to put mine through a strainer.  Raspberries have a lot of seeds and my family does not like their jam full of seeds.  I did not have the energy to get my big squeezo strainer out so I just used my small all in one strainer.


Once you have crushed your berries measure out your ingredients and begin making your jam.  You need one package of powdered pectin and 7 cups of sugar.



Add the pectin to the raspberries and stir well.  Bring to a boil in a tall pan stirring constantly.


Once the mixture comes to a boil add the sugar.  Stir constantly and bring to a boil.  Once it begins to boil set your timer and boil stirring constantly for 1 minute.


Remove from heat.  With a spoon remove the foam.  Leaving the foam on top of the jam will not harm your jam in any way or affect the processing.  It just makes a nicer looking jam in your jars. 



Using a ladle fill your sterilized jelly jars to within 1/4 inch from the top. 


With a clean wash cloth wipe the top of the jars clean.


Bring your new lids to a boil.  With a lid lifter lift the lids out of the boiling water and place on the jars. Screw on the rings by hand and tighten.


Here are 8 jars of black raspberry jam ready to go in the canner.  I put the canner on the burner right after I pull off the jam.  By the time I am ready to put the jars in the canner the water is about 180 degrees Fahrenheit.


Using a jar lifter place all of your jars into the canner.  Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
Remove from the canner and let sit on your canner.  Let completely cool and check to make sure all your jars sealed.


I normally label all my jars with the name and date.  I usually write in permanent marker on the lid.  I found these fun canning labels at the store today so I decided to use those and put them on the jars.  They look great and are ready for my pantry!!  When you make several different types of jams you need to label them.  Mulberry and black raspberry look exactly the same.  So I need to label them so we know what type of jam we are opening up!!


This recipe makes about 9  8oz jars of jam.  Here is the recipe I used.

Black Raspberry Jam
2 quarts of Black Raspberries
1 pkg of powdered pectin
7 cups of sugar






2 comments:

Ladybug said...

Such Excellent tutorial of Jam
making..such talent you have ..
Good to heard you are doing better
each day.. Thoughts and Prayers
Take Care .....
Hugs
Trish-Ladybug

Millie said...

I love to eat raspberries! They are such a tasty bush.