Monday, July 11, 2011

Candied Dill Pickles

I found this recipe in my Grandma's Church Cookbook.  I love cookbooks like this.  It is just a collection of recipes from a bunch of farm wives.  Most of the recipes have been handed down for years.  I made these pickles several years ago for the first time.  They quickly replaced bread and butter pickles as my families favorite pickles.  I love these pickles.  They are so crispy and sweet with a dill flavor!! 

My sister in law has been growing some cucumbers at their house.  Well they just started coming on like crazy so she gave my a plastic shopping bag full of them.  I sliced them using my pampered chef ultimate slicer/ grater. 


I have a 13 quart stock pot that was completely filled with sliced cucumbers.


Once you have your cucumbers cut  (You can either cut them in spears or slice them, I have made them both ways and they are always nice and crisp) you then pour boiling water over the cucumbers until they are completely covered. 



Now you let them set for 4 hours.  When the time is almost up get your jars ready.  Use clean sterilized jars.  Put a head of fresh dill in the bottom of all your jars.  Drain the cucumbers and fill the jars to within 1 inch from the top.  Then put a head of dill on top. 


Now you need to make the syrup.  You mix the vinegar, sugar, salt, tumeric, celery seed, and mustard seed in a sauce pan.  Bring to a boil  and remove from heat.  Quick note, tumeric will stain everything yellow.  I have white counter tops but a little bleach always removes the stains!!



Now pour the syrup over the cucumbers to within 1/2 inch from the top.  Depending on how many cucumbers you have you will have to make more than one batch of syrup.  I made 2 1/2 batches of syrup to cover the pickles.  You will need more syrup to cover spears than slices.  The slices leave less space in the jars.  It is really important to clean the rim of these pickles.  The syrup has a lot of sugar in it which will make the rim sticky.  Also when you get ready to put the lids on make sure all pieces of the dill are pushed down in the jar. 


Now boil your new lids and place on your jars.  Screw on the rings and hand tighten.  I got 8 quarts, 1 3 cup jar, and 4 pints. The jar with the red ring is a 3 cup mason jar.  It is a wide mouth jar as tall as a quart but only as big around as a pint jar.  I found almost a dozen of these many years ago at a garage sale.  I love them.  The are great for pickles. 


Now process the pickles in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.  A note of caution.  When you have large batches of things to can you need to cool the water back down before you put your second batch in the canner.  My first batch I put in 7 quarts in the hot water.  Brought it to a boil and boiled 5 minutes.  I pulled those jars out.  Before I put in the last quart and pints I poured in two quarts of cold water.  These jars have been setting on the counter and have cooled down quite a bit.  If you put them into the boiling water the jars will break.  So cool down the water first.  Then process the rest of your pickles. 


Here are all my pretty pickles.  They are labeled and waiting to cool completely.  Then they will go in the pantry for use on hamburgers and things for the next year.  Pickles get better the longer they sit.  Especially dill pickles.  They make great gifts for Christmas too!!!


Here is the recipe for the syrup.  It does not matter how many cucumbers you have.  Just make enough batches of syrup to cover them.

Candied Dill Pickles Syrup
3 3/4 cups vinegar
6 cups sugar
3 Tablespoons of pickling salt
4 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
4 1/2 teaspoons tumeric
3/4 teaspoon mustard seed

3 comments:

Mary said...

Nummy. I bet your house smelled so good. Mine smells like skunk!! Yep it's the yearly tradition. Great isn't it. Does your hubby want to come kill some things? We got plenty of varmit.(however you spell it)

doing the 90 day Bible reading challenge. It's a blog called Moms toolbox. Check it out started today

Kathryn D. Duke said...

Good tip Dina about cooling down before 2nd batch...you know, I had one jar break the other day and I bet that is why...I have cucumbers to can tomorrow...not sure which recipe to use yet...THANKS!!

Yours are real pretty!!

Pearlsmom said...

White or apple cider vinegar? Can't wait to try.