Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dilly Beans

Pickled dill beans also known as Dilly Beans are easy to make and great to eat.  I picked some Roma Beans and snipped some dill and off I went to make my pickled beans.  A good friend of ours gave us this recipe.  It is an old recipe for dill pickles that has been passed down through the generations.  You can use this recipe to make dill pickles, dilly beans, and squash pickles.   The recipe is very easy.  Just get your clean sterlized jars and put a clove of garlic in the bottom.  Lay a grape leaf on the side of the jar.  Then put your beans in.  I trim the ends of them and put the beans in veritcal.  It is easier to lay the jar on the side and stack them in.  Put a head of dill on the top and then pour the vinegar solution on top.

Why the grape leaf.  I was told by my friend that the grape leaf helps keep the pickles crisp.  I have made them before without it.  But I actually had some grape leaves this year so I made them with it.  I like the look of it.  I can't wait to taste them!!
Here are my Roma Beans trimmed and washed.  Roma Beans are a flat green been that has a buttery flavor to them.  They make great dilly beans!!

I am in the process of filling the jars. 


Here are 12 pints of dilly beans waiting for the vinegar solution.



Here are the jars after the vinegar solution has been added.  Fill to within 1/2 inch from the top.  Boil your new lids and put on the jars.  Make sure you wipe the rims clean first.  Then screw on the rims and tighten by hand.  Then you process the jars in a water bath for 20 minutes. Make sure you cool the water down a little before you add a second batch of jars.  They will break if you put them right into the boiling water. 

Here are my 12 pints of dilly beans.  Aren't they pretty?  They will be ready to eat in a couple of weeks.  Pickles taste better as they age especially dill pickles. 


I had a couple of zucchini and summer squash so I sliced them up and made dill pickles out of them too.  Dill pickles and squash pickles are made the same way.  You only have to process them for 10 minutes insead of 20. 





My friend also told me to not throw away the vinegar solution after you have eaten all of your pickles or dilly beans.  Make some hard boiled eggs.  Peel and put right into the jar of the vinegar solution.  Put in the fridge for a couple of days.  You will have dill pickled eggs.  They are great in potato or macaroni salad.  They also make a great egg salad. 

Here is the recipe for the vinegar solution.  Just make as many batches as you need to cover the amount of dilly beans or pickles you have. 

4 cups water
4 cups vinegar
8 tablespoons canning salt
Bring to a boil and pour over pickles. 

2 comments:

Mary said...

Glad you were able to do some beans. Hope you are ok after picking all those beans. Now sit back and relax

Laura Lane said...

Where does one buy grape leaves?
lane dot family at yahoo dot com

Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
Laura