Sunday, July 3, 2011

Focaccia Sandwich

A while back we had a bunch of lunch meat that needed used up.  So I decided to make a family size sandwich for supper.  I used a recipe for focaccia out of one of my old Taste of Home magazines.  Here is the recipe Giant Focaccia Sandwich .  I used the recipe to make the focaccia.  Here are the steps as I made the bread.

Ingredients

  • 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2-1/4 cups water
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt

  • In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, molasses and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Look at all the oats in the dough.  Yum!!  It smells wonderful too!!


Here is the dough after it has risen for 45 minutes.



Press dough onto a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
I put mine on my pizza stone.  It is slightly smaller than 14 in but still worked fine.



Here is the dough after it has risen for 30 minutes.



Brush with egg. Sprinkle with the onion, sesame seeds and garlic salt. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.




Now you let the bread cool completely then split the focaccia in half like a hamburger bun.  The original recipe tells you to fill the sandwich up with your favorite fixings and cut into wedges and serve.  I filled it up and decided to wrap it up in foil and put back into the oven.  I heated it through to melt all of the cheese.  It was scrumptious!!!

Loading up the bottom with meat and cheese.  I repeated layers of meat and cheese and topped off with a layer of dill pickles. 



I spread the top half with a layer of herbed mustard.



Here is the sandwich put together before I put it back into the oven.



Here is a slice of our focaccia sandwich.



I cut this into 8 sandwiches.  You can cut it into smaller sandwiches if you like. 



This sandwich would be great to serve cold and to take on a picnic.  Just put in your families favorite fillings and toppings and you have a great sandwich.  I think the flavor of the focaccia really makes this sandwich great!!



2 comments:

Mary said...

We'll be over!!!

Kathryn D. Duke said...

I will be too!! I am impressed...