Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fudgesicles

I have been busy doing a lot of things this week.  I have taken a lot of pictures of things I am working on so I will have a few more posts this weekend as I finish things up.  We are also busy trying to finish up 4-H projects before judging next week.  And we have VBS for our church next week as well. 

It has been hot lately.  Not horrible hot like last summer when we had a month of 90 degree weather.  But hot enough that my kids have been wanting popsicles and fudgesicles.  I don't like buying the ready made popsicles at the stores because by the time we get home they are melted.  I love this recipe for fudgesicles.  It is very simple and easy to make and they are so good. 


First you mix together in a saucepan 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/8 tsp salt.  To that whisk in 3 cups of milk.  You can use any type of milk.  I used vanilla rice milk.  When I first started making these I was having a lot of digestion issues with dairy so I used the vanilla rice milk.  My husband who is a milk drinker even says the texture and taste is a lot better with the rice milk than when I do use milk for them.  Once you mix in the milk, whisk in 1/2 cup light corn syrup. 


Bring it to a boil on high heat stirring constantly.  Boil for 1 minute while stirring or until thickened.  Pull off the heat.


Now you add 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1 tsp of vanilla.  You can use any flavor of chocolate chips.  For this recipe I used semi-sweet.  I have used milk chocolate and even white chocolate chips.  My son loves the white chocolate fudgesicles.  I have not tried butterscotch yet but would like to in the future.  Whisk the chocolate chips and vanilla in until the chocolate is completely melted.  Then pour into a container that has a spout so you can pour into your popsicle molds.




Pour into 3 oz popsicle molds.  You usually get about 1 dozen fudgsicles.  This time I only got 11. 


Add your sticks and pop into the freezer until they are completely frozen. 



Remove your fudgesicles from your molds.  I place them in sandwich bags and then in a gallon size bag and put them in the freezer.  Hopefully they will last more than just a couple of days. 



Now that the molds are empty I need to make a batch of popsicles.  My youngest does not like chocolate so he has to wait until later when the popsicles I made this morning are completely frozen. 

4 comments:

Hansen Family said...

ooooh so yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe. and funny how your youngest doesn't like chocolate. Mine always wanted vanilla ice cream until my husband wanted a change... made some chocolate and they all went bananas ;). No more vanilla they said.

Eileen said...

This sounds great, I am going to try your fudge pops. It has been really hot here lately too.

Kathy ~ Cackles and Berries said...

Wow- those look soooo good!!

Ladybug said...

Now that sounds easy, Yes better
then the Store bought ones !!
Thanks for Sharing :-)
Hug...