Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Granny Squares

Ok, against my better judgement I decided to make another afghan.  I have been wanting to make this afghan for a couple of years. I hate doing larger projects but the granny square breaks up a large project into smaller pieces.  I knew I was going to be down for a while after surgery so I started a new afghan which I will more than likely give as a Christmas gift. 

I got the pattern a few years ago in the yarn isle at my local craft store.  I like going through the yarn isles and collecting all the free project sheets.  It is a Red Heart yarn pattern called floral bouquet afghan. 
Here is the pattern that I am using Floral Bouquet Afghan

I already had the green, blue, and yellow yarn left over from some other projects.  I bought the mauve, lilac, and soft white. 

This is what I have finished so far.  The afghan has 48 squares.  12 of each color of flower.  I have 13 squares completed.  I have all the rest of the flowers made.  Now the rest of the work will just be in the soft white to go around the flowers.  I can't wait to see it put together. 




The granny square has a diagonal popcorn stitch  on the corners.  When you sew the squares together the popcorn stitches will form a raised diamond effect.



The stack of my yellow flower granny squares



I have a lot more work to do and I am starting to feel better.  But I know I will continue to work on this at night while relaxing.  It will go quickly now that I have all the flowers done!!




If all goes well I should have this done before the summer is over.  I will probably enter it in the fair and then give it away as a gift.  Well depending on how much I like it.  I might keep it for myself!!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

This is SO beautiful!! I am so glad you showed this off :)

Mary said...

Hope you are feeling better. This is a good project for you to sit and relax.

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

That is a great project! Can't wait to see it complete.

Ladybug said...

Hi Dina
Been thinking about you hope you
are doing better,good to see your
post.Great project while you are recovering..its beautiful love all
the colors you are using
Joyful Blessings
Trish-Ladybug

Eileen said...

This is wonderful Dina. Hope you are feeling better !!!