Sunday, July 10, 2011

Raspberry Pie Filling


I went out to the farm to pick raspberries this morning and mom already had most of them picked.  She gave them to me so I decided to make some pie filling. 

I come from a pie baking family.  My Great Grandma made pies, my Grandma made pies, my Mom made pies, and everyone knew that they made some of the best pies around.  I used to tell my mom when I was younger that the pie making tradition was going to end with me.  I hated having to make the filling, then make the crust, then put it all together and bake.  We always had so many dishes to clean up afterwards.  I think I hated cleaning the dishes more than making the pies.  I did give in though and learned to make pies.  This task was made easier though when I bought a new canning book.  It had recipes for canning pie filling.  It is great because all you have to do is make the crust and open up a jar, put in the filling and bake!!  It still tastes fresh and home made.

 You can use either black or red raspberry or a combination of both.  I did not have quite enough raspberries to make a full batch so I adapted the recipe to the amount I had. 

First wash and drain your raspberries to get rid of all the bugs.  I normally fill the pail up with water and let sit a bit to allow the bugs to come out of the berries.  Drain them well and set them aside.


Now to make your filling you need to put your sugar and clear jell in a large kettle.  You must use clear jel.  Cornstarch will thicken when you make it but when you re-heat the cornstarch when you bake your pie it breaks down and your filling will become runny.  Clear Jel can be found at most bulk food stores.  Some grocery stores carry it too. Mix the sugar and Clear Jel together and then add your water. 



I use a whisk until the Clear Jel and sugar mix in thoroughly.  Then I switch to a wooden spoon with a long handle.


Now you cook the mixture over medium high heat stirring constantly.  Cook until the mixture begins to thicken.  It will turn from the milky white color to a clear color. Once the mixture thickens add your lemon juice and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.  Be careful.  The mixture is thick and bubbly and will pop up.  The filling is hot if it gets on your hand. 





Remove the filling from the heat and add in your berries.  Don't over stir.  Just fold them in well.



My filling is now ready to put into my jars to can.  When I make a full batch this kettle is almost full.


Spoon your filling into your clean sterilized jars.  You can use either pints or quarts.  A quart will make one 9 inch pie.  Pints are great for desserts or for making camp fire pies!  If you have a lot of air bubbles or pockets in your jars, take a wooden skewer and poke down in the jars to pop them.  Sometimes I have a ton of them.  I was lucky today.  None of my jars had air bubbles.
Fill the jars leaving 1 inch head space.  Wipe the rims clean using a clean wash cloth.


Boil new lids and place on your jars.  Screw on rings and tighten by hand. 


I got 4 quarts and 1 pint with 4 quarts of raspberries.  These are ready to go into the canner.


Process in a boiling water bath for 30 minutes. 


Remove from the canner and let sit on your counter to cool.  The filling is thick and takes a while to cool.  So don't worry if you don't hear the pings right away.  All of my jars sealed.  If you have a jar that did not seal put it in the fridge to use up within a week or use right away. 


Here is the recipe to make your raspberry pie filling. I cut the large recipe in half and added the recipe to make 1 quart to it.  It turned out perfect.  I normally get 7 quarts and a pint jar from the large recipe.  Depending on size of berries and if I have slightly more than 6 quarts.  I use the pint jars when we go camping for camp fire pies!!!  They are so good!!

To make 1 quart jar of filling
3 1/2 cups raspberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp Clear Jel
1 1/3 cups cold water
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp of bottled lemon juice

To make 7 quarts of  filling
6 quarts of raspberries
7 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups Clear Jel
9 1/3 cups cold water
1/2 cup bottled lemon juice

To make a pie
2 layer crust for a 9 inch pie
1 quart jar of pie filling
sugar
Place the bottom layer of crust in the pie pan.  Pour in your filling and smooth out.  Moisten the edge of the crust.  Top with top crust.  Make sure you have a slit in your top crust to allow filling to vent. Seal edges and flute with your desired style.  Brush top crust with water and dust with sugar.  Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.  Let cool completely before cutting.

I am linking to Carnival of Home Preserving

9 comments:

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

I hope I have enough raspberries this year to try your recipe. I love your blog. So many good ideas. Thank you for sharing.

Lady Farmer said...

I hope to give your recipe a try! And I am going to share your recipe at our church's next women's meeting featuring berries!
Thank you!

Kendra at New Life On A Homestead said...

Those look so good!!

Kathryn D. Duke said...

yummy...you know I had the first jar break while in the water bath last week...the bottom of the jar just broke right off...

Creations by Dina said...

Kathyrn,
Jars break for one of two reasons. Sometimes the jars are old and just have a flaw in them somewhere. Or if you put the jars in when the water is too hot and the jars are too cold it is a shock to the jar and the bottom just breaks right off.

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

Inviting you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog today and every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams’ Musings http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

Inviting you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog today and every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams’ Musings http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com

Paula O said...

I found your blog last week when I was looking for a recipe for raspberry pie filling. I made it this morning and I now have 19 quarts of beautiful pie filling. Your blog and recipes are excellent and can't wait to try more of them.

http://paulaoretirement.blogspot.com/2012/06/raspberry-pie-filling-canning-day.html

Carolivy said...

Thank you! I just found your blog and made enough filling for a pie & a half (we like our pies realllly full) and it is DELICIOUS!! I'm very new to using the Clear Jel, but I'm already hooked!
Hugs
Carol