Friday, July 22, 2011

Strawberry Jam

It is not strawberry season here anymore but the local grocery store had strawberries really cheap so I bought a few. I never made any jam from our strawberries at the farm.  We just ate them fresh and I made a few desserts out of them. I wanted to make at least one batch of strawberry jam since that is my families favorite jam.   So I cut the strawberries up and put them in a pan.  It takes 2 quarts of strawberries to make jam.


Add 1 pkg of powdered pectin and bring to a boil stirring constantly.


Add 7 cups of sugar and continuously stir and bring back to a boil.  Boil for 1 minute and take off the heat.



Strawberry jam tends to foam up a lot.  


Skim off as much foam as possible.  For some reason out of all the jams I make strawberry jam really foams up.  So I skim off as much as I can.


Ladle into your clean sterilized jars.


Wipe jar rims with a clean wash cloth.  Boil new lids and put on jars.  Screw on rings and hand tighten. Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes. 



This recipe makes about 8 8oz jars.  I put them into pint jars so I got 4 pint jars.  We use a lot of strawberry jam so an 8 oz jar does not last long.


Label your jars with content and the date and put up in your pantry for later use!!

No comments: