Sunday, August 21, 2011

Candied Cinnamon Pickles


This is another recipe I got from my grandma's church cook book.  Are you noticing a theme here.  It is the cook book I use the most.  A lot of the ladies who put recipes in this cook book have gone on to be with our Lord.  But they have left a legacy of awesome down home country recipes.  Some that have been handed down throughout generations. 

 I altered the recipe some and renamed it.  The original recipe calls these Spiced Cucumber Rings.  The original recipe has you peel large cucumbers and to scoop out the seeds.  The rest is the same.  I use pickling cucumbers and I don't peel them.

These bright red pickles taste just like cinnamon candy.  They are the crispiest pickle I have ever eaten.  They look beautiful on a relish tray especially for the holidays!!  And they make great gifts with Christmas fabric on top and tied with a raffia bow.  The only thing about these pickles is they take 5 days to make.  The first two days are the most work.  The next two are just reheating syrup and letting sit.  The last day you can them. Everybody loves them but they don't want to make them because of the time it takes. So here is the step by step process to make my famous Candied Cinnamon Pickles.  They may take a few days to make but they are worth the effort. 

On a side note:  Your house will smell like cinnamon for a week!!! 
Day 1
Wash your cucumbers and slice enough to get 2 gallons of cucumber slices.  Put in a container that is not aluminum.  Mix 4 quarts of water with 1 cup pickling lime.  Pour over cucumbers.  If the cucumbers are not completely covered you can add some water.  If you need a lot more keep mixing 2 quarts of water with 1/2 cup pickling lime until you have enough to cover cucumbers.  Let this sit overnight to 24 hours. 



Pickling Lime can be found in the canning section at most grocery stores.  Soaking vegetables in pickling lime before pickling makes them very crispy.  It also gives pickles a very distinct flavor. Although these pickles don't have that flavor after you put them into the cinnamon syrup for several days.   I also use pickling lime when I pickle jalapeno peppers.  They stay so crisp.  

Day 2
Drain the cucumbers.  Rinse out the cucumbers very well.  I will fill the stock pot back up at least three times with water and drain it.  Then I will pour the cucumbers into colanders and put under the faucet and run water over them.  Then I wash out the stock pot with soap and water.  I will pull out the cucumbers by hand holding them under the faucet to further rinse off any lime.  Put all the cucumbers back into your container and cover with cold water.  Let sit for 3 hours. 

Drain off the water and then add 1 cup of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of alum, 1 2oz bottle of liquid red food coloring, and enough water to cover the cucumbers. 


Bring this to a boil then reduce the heat.  Simmer for 2 hours.  Then Drain.  The pickles will begin to look bright red at this point. 


Now I put the pickles into the containers that will sit on the counter for the next 3 days.  I use empty gallon ice cream tubs.  I split the cucumbers between 2 tubs.  Now you make the syrup that will finish pickling the cucumbers and candy them. 

To make the syrup bring 3 1/2 cups vinegar, 1  1 lb package of red hot cinnamon candies, 10 cups of sugar, 4 cups of water, and 8 cinnamon sticks to boil.  Continue to boil until all of the cinnamon candies have dissolved.  Pour the syrup over the pickles.



Now let these sit on your counter.  As the syrup cools the pickles will begin to drop down in the syrup.  I normally will push them down  later during the day.  Day 2 is done!!

Day 3
Drain the syrup into a large sauce pan.  Bring to a boil.  Pour the syrup back over the pickles.  Let  sit on your counter.  Day 3 is done. You can see that the pickles are getting darker red.  Almost all the green is gone on the pickles.  There are still a few pickles that have a slight green on the skin that are thicker slices.  All the thin slices are completely red.





Day 4
Drain the syrup into a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Pour the syrup back over the pickles. Let sit on your counter. Day 4 is done. The pickles are getting very red and there is no green left on any of them.  Wow my house smells good!!




Day 5
Heat pickles and syrup back up to boiling.  Ladle pickles into jars and cover in syrup.  I put one of the cinnamon sticks into each jar.  It looks pretty and also keeps adding to the flavor.  Fill leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Wipe rims and put on new boiled lids.  Tighten on rings and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes. 


I got 12 1/2 pints of Candied Cinnamon Pickles.  These are actually my mom's pickles.  She asked if I would make a batch for her.  They were leaving on vacation and would not be able to get them finished.  I will keep a couple of jars though.   Especially since this recipe makes so many pickles!! 
When you open up a jar the smell of cinnamon will fill the air.  They are so yummy!!  Just like eating candy!!


I am linking to The Homestead Barn Hop





9 comments:

Ladybug said...

Yummy !!! I'm sharing with Sis
(CJ) she like this recipe
Thanks for Sharing .. Awesome
Job !! :-)
Our Canning Queen... :-)
Blessings/ Hugs..
Have Great Week...
Trish-Ladybug

Ladybug said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
labbie1 said...

I looked at that jar of pickles and thought first of Atomic Fireballs--which I LOVE!!!! These are so pretty and I bet they are yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

luckybunny said...

I love this kind of pickle recipe, looks like a lot of fun and I bet they taste great :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Efinzen said...

My father-in-law asked me to make Candied Pickles for him. While I have pickled many things... this has never even entered my mind to make. Never even heard of them. So when I started researching recipes for how to make them, yours stood out. You have great photos, and the instructions are AWESOME! My candied pickles came out GREAT! Thank you so much for blogging about this and adding a new recipe to my canning book. I only made one batch, and needed more syrup than what this made. Next time I will make almost double the syrup. Yet... not sure one batch will be enough. Already I have several people claiming jars, but I haven't even sent any to my father-in-law yet. Perhaps I can still find some cucumbers at the farmers markets...

Creations by Dina said...

Efinzen, glad you enjoyed the recipe. I too find that sometimes I have to double the syrup recipe to have enough to can them in. They make a great addition to a Christmas relish tray!!

Penny Cochran said...

Can you double the syrup at the end? Now that I am ready to put in jars, not sure if I will have enough syrup.

Creations by Dina said...

Sorry Penny I just saw this post. yes you can double the syrup at the end.

Kendall said...

I am so glad I have came across your blog!!! Thank you for sharing your recipes!!! I also enjoy canning as well for my family!!! I can remember canning with my mom when I was a little girl. The Amish in our area make a pickle with red cinnamon heart candies. I have only had the privilege of trying them once and they are great! Take care, Kendall from Ontario canada😃