Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Canning

Yesterday was a very productive day for me.  I did a lot of canning.  I started out by using some of my peaches that I had picked on Friday.  I picked about a bushel and some of them have been getting ripe.  So this morning I started out by making peach butter.  While that was processing I started making peach jam.  Then I finished up with peaches by canning a few pints of what was left that was ripe.  By this time it was lunch time.

After lunch I went to the garden and I picked cucumbers, some dill, tomatoes, and onions.  Then I went back home and made another batch of salsa and some dill pickle slices.  My bounty of filled jars looks so pretty on my counter. 


I had a very productive day of canning but my house went uncleaned, the laundry did not get done, and my husband came home and had to make his own supper.  I was running off to take the kids to a  4-H meeting and did not have time to fix dinner.  I guess this is why my husband hates canning season.  At least he enjoys the benefits the rest of the year when he gets to eat all the goodies I put up during the summer.  He has learned to deal with the messy house and other things not getting done.  And I have learned to try and get as much done as possible and try to keep things picked up and clean!!!  Compromise is a great thing in a marriage!!  It makes for a happy household!! And enables me to do a lot of canning which I enjoy!!!

2 comments:

dr momi said...

Canning equipment has taken over my kitchen....we just deal with it. (cleaning can wait) It will taste so-o-o good this winter!

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

My Mom made the best canned peaches. I need to get a canner. I love the peach butter idea. We haven't had the best peaches up here yet. Thanks for swinging by the porch. My deer are whitetail. We do have some mule deer, but they don't hang out in the back yard. Thanks for stopping and I love all of your canning ideas.