Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dill Relish



I made some sweet pickle relish two years ago and just used up the last jar.  My hubby always liked dill pickle relish better.  So I searched the Internet until I found a recipe that I liked.  None of my cook books had a recipe for dill relish.  This is a great recipe since it uses dill seed.  Some of our dill has gone to seed.  So I used that for this recipe.  You don't want seeds for your dill pickles, so this is a great way to use up your dill that has gone to seed.

I did not have enough cucumbers so I substituted zucchini and extra onions to make up the difference.  You can do that with pickling recipes.  Never add extra vegetables to tomato sauce recipes because it lowers the acidity level too much and can make the sauce unsafe when canned. When pickling vegetables the acidity comes from the vinegar added.  So you can safely replace one vegetable with another.

First I ground up my cucumber, onions, and zucchini in my food processor.  I added my salt and turmeric and  let sit for 2 hours. 


After two hours I rinsed and drained the vegetables.  I poured it into a colander and let it sit until no more liquid was coming off of it.  Then I poured the vegetables into my stock pot and added the sugar, dill, turmeric and vinegar.  This was brought to a boil.  Then I reduced the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.  Pull off the heat and fill your clean and sterilized pint jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.  Wipe rims and adjust lids.  Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. 




Here is the recipe that I found on the Internet Dill Relish .  I made some adjustments though.  Here is the original recipe with the adjustments that I made next to it.  It tastes awesome.  I love the dill flavor in it and it is so pretty and yellow.  The color reminds me of fresh dill in the garden!!

Dill Relish

  • 8 pounds pickling cucumbers   I had 2 pounds and 2 pounds of zucchini
  • 1/2 cup Ball 100% Natural
  • Canning and Pickling Salt
  • 2 teaspoons turmeric
  • 1 quart water   I did not use the water
  • 1 pound yellow onions   I used 5 pounds of onions (this made up for the other 4 pounds of cucumbers)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons dill seed I used about 3 Tablespoons of dill seed
  • 1 quart white wine vinegar
Prepare jars and closures.


Wash cucumbers; drain. Remove 1/16-inch from blossom and stem ends of cucumbers. Finely chop cucumbers in a food processor or food grinder. Place chopped cucumbers (I also put the zucchini and onions in the bowl) in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and turmeric. Pour water over cucumbers;(I did not pour the water over it) let stand 2 hours. Peel and finely chop onions. (My onions were added to the cucumbers already) Drain cucumbers. Rinse under cold water; drain. Combine cucumbers, onions, sugar, dill seed and white wine vinegar (I added 2 more teaspoons of turmeric) in a large sauce pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Carefully ladle hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met - fingertip tight.


Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Yield: about 6 half-pints. I got 7 pints

I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop



No comments: