Friday, August 26, 2011

How to Make Tomato Juice

I have made a batch a pizza sauce and a batch of spaghetti sauce using tomato juice that I had canned last year.  I used up all the tomato juice I had canned.  Thankfully the tomatoes have finally started ripening at a faster rate.  So I picked close to a 5 gallon bucket full of tomatoes and took them home to make into juice.  Almost anything that you make with tomatoes except salsa starts out by turning your tomatoes into juice. 
I did not want to have to clean up a mess in the house so I decided to create a kitchen outside.  So I put up our folding table, put my strainer on it, got the extension cord and plugged in my steamer, and brought out my tomatoes.  Here is my make shift out door kitchen.  It was in the shade and nice and cool that day. 


I first core the tomatoes.  Then either quarter, halve, or leave whole depending on their size.  I use a variety of tomatoes to can with. This gives everything I make a great flavor. 


Then I steam the tomatoes until the skin splits on them.  Then they are ready to put through the strainer. Sometimes I will put the skins back through the strainer to squeeze out every little bit of juice I can get. 


The best thing about my out door kitchen is easy clean up.  I took the dishes back inside to wash.  I would need to clean them even if I did it inside.  Then the hose came out and viola!!  The table was clean in less than 30 seconds!!  And no floor to clean up!!!  I like not having to clean up afterwards!!


I got 8 quarts of tomato juice.  I put it in my stock pot and put it in the fridge to cook down then next day to make another batch of spaghetti sauce. 





1 comment:

Eileen said...

Great outdoor kitchen!! Can not wait to see how you make sauces out of tomato juice.