Monday, August 1, 2011

Mock Pineapple


Do you have a lot of extra zucchini and don't know what else to do with it.  Try making some mock pineapple.  I have been wanting to make this for several years.  I finally just made a batch.  I can't believe the taste.  It tastes just like pineapple.  I made it into chunks and even the texture is very similar to pineapple.  I gave some to my son who gobbled it up.  I kept trying to convince him that it was not pineapple.  He would not believe me that it wasn't.  On second thought, why was I trying to convince a kid that he was eating a vegetable and not one of his favorite fruits.  Not one of the smarter things I have done!!

I took this pile of zucchini and peeled it, removed any seeded parts, and cut them into 1/2 inch chunks.


I put the zucchini into a saucepan.  The recipe calls for 4 quarts of shredded zucchini.  I cut mine into chunks.  You can also do rings.  I only had about 2 quarts of zucchini.


Next you add a 46 oz can of pineapple juice, 3 cups of sugar, and 1 1/2 cup of bottled lemon juice.  Bring to a boil then turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes. 



I followed the advice of another person and added some yellow food coloring to it.  I saw pictures of the mock pineapple on line and it was very pale and did not look like pineapple. One person suggested to add some yellow food coloring so that it would look like pineapple.  I think the key to convincing someone it is pineapple is to make it look like pineapple too.



Now fill either half pint or pint jars with the zucchini.  Fill with the juice to 1/2 inch from the top.  Wipe rims clean and place new boiled lids on the jars.  Screw on the rims and hand tighten.  Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.  Remove and let cool to seal.   I got 7 half pint jars of mock pineapple.  This pineapple can be used in place of real pineapple in any baked item or even just eaten right out of the jar.  The shredded zucchini is similar to a jar of crushed pineapple and can be used in place of that.  The same with the zucchini rings.  I had a lot of juice left over since I did not have that much zucchini.  I did not waste all that good juice though.  I strained it through my jelly bag and put it in the fridge for the kids to drink. 


Here is the recipe for mock pineapple!!


Mock Pineapple
4 quarts of shredded or cubed zucchini (peeled and seeds removed)
1 46 oz can of pineapple juice
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups bottled lemon juice
yellow food coloring (optional)

Place all ingredients into a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Put zucchini into half pint or pint jars.  Fill with the juice leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. 

I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop

10 comments:

Journey11 said...

That's so neat! First time I've seen this recipe. It amazes me how zucchini can take on the flavor of just about anything. Have you seen where they make candy out of it? I'm going to try that this year.

Mary said...

You did it! I just did more beans and getting tired of doing them. Thankful for them though.

Ladybug said...

Amazing what can be done with zucchini, hope its ok but I like too share this on my Blog, Giving
you the credit :-)
Wish I had a better crop, maybe next season I'll make these...
Hugs
Trish-Ladybug

Jill of all Trades said...

Wow. This sure beats leaving backs of extra zucchini on your neighbors' porch at night! What a great way to get rid of the excess crop!

It seems like one of those ideas that's just weird enough to actually work. Now I'm kind of bummed that I didn't plant zucs this year!

Thanks for sharing.

Hansen Family said...

Wow, this is really neat. Too bad I already harvested all my zucchini. Should plant 2 crops next year. I bet it is awesome on pizza!~

Peyton's said...

One additional ingredient my mom used in making zucchini pineapple, was pineapple oil. I grew up on this stuff and didn't have real pineapple until I was allowed to purchase lunch in high school, and couldn't believe people actually ate such stringy crap. My mom also only used the extra large zucchini for this, and I remember walking with the peeler as I peeled them as they were so long. Once you scrape the seed cavity, they resemble the curves of actual pineapple. Mom also grated the zucchini and called it crushed pineapple.

Creations by Dina said...

I made more of this today. I made it out of yellow summer squash. It turned out great. Tasted just like the zucchini did. I got 11 1/2 pints.

odiie said...

I made this last year, but I shredded the zucchini. I use it in zucchini bread and everyone loves it. Don't know if my zucchini will even get done this year. :(

Nettie Rickerson said...

We love making this, but I think you have to have at least 1 cup of lemon juice per gallon of zucchini to process safely.

Creations by Dina said...

Thank you Nettie Rickerson, That was a typo. I have fixed it. I just made this again this year and followed the recipe in my canning book which takes 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice. The rest of the ingredients are correct. Thanks,