Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pizza Sauce


Well I went through the my pantry and found some more tomato juice.  I actually used up all the jars of just plain tomato juice for the spaghetti sauce, but I had a ton of jars of tomato soup.  The tomato soup is just tomato juice that also has onions and celery that has been cooked and put through the strainer too.  It might have a little canning salt and sugar in it too.  The milk and thickener is added after you open the jar.  So it works great for all kinds of meals and taste like a V-8 when you drink it straight.  I made a ton of this last year and we just didn't use it up.  So I opened up 16 pints and poured it into my kettle.  What is nice about my pizza sauce recipe it actually states the amount of tomato juice to use.  So you are not guessing with measuring out pounds of tomatoes.  I have even made this recipe with store bought tomato juice when I ran out of pizza sauce in the middle of the year.

The pizza sauce takes less time than the spaghetti sauce and you get about the same amount.  First you pour 8 quarts of tomato juice in a kettle. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.  Simmer for 3 hours.  Stirring frequently. 



After 3 hours add your vegetables, if desired (I don't add them, my hubby does not like them in the pizza sauce), vegetable oil, oregano, salt, red pepper, basil, and sugar.  Bring back to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for another 30 minutes.  Then add 8  6oz cans of tomato paste.  Bring back to a boil stirring constantly until all the tomato paste is incorporated.  Remove from the heat.


You will have a nice and thick bright red pizza sauce.  It looks just like any pizza sauce you would buy in the store.  But tastes so much better.   Before putting you pizza sauce into the jars add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the bottom for pints and 2 tablespoons for quarts.  This helps with the acidity issue.  A lot of tomatoes now days have less acid than they once did.  This helps insure a safe product.  Then fill your jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Clean the rims and top with new boiled lids.  Tighten the rings on and process in a boiling water bath for 40 minutes. 


I normally get about 16 to 17 pints.  I can some batches in quart jars.  When I make crock pot pizza you need a quart jar of pizza sauce.  So I can in both quarts an pints.  Today I canned in pints and got 17 beautiful jars of bright red pizza sauce.  One jar will make 2 pizzas. 

Here is my recipe for Pizza Sauce

Pizza Sauce
8 quarts tomato juice
4 green peppers, chopped fine
2 cups vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon oregano
1/2 cup canning salt
3 lbs of onions, chopped fine
1 teaspoon red pepper
2 Tablespoons basil
2 cups sugar
8  6oz cans tomato paste

Bring the tomato juice to a boil in a large kettle.  Reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours stirring frequently.  Add peppers and onions, if desired, vegetable oil, oregano, salt, red pepper, basil, and sugar.  Bring back to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for another 30 minutes.  Add tomato paste and bring back to a boil stirring constantly until the tomato paste has been thoroughly incorporated. 
Remove from the heat.  Put 1 tablespoon of bottled lemon juice in pint jars and 2 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice in quart jars, then fill up with pizza sauce leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 40 minutes.  Yields about 16 -17 pints. 

3 comments:

labbie1 said...

Sounds yummy and looks so pretty! Bet your hubby loves you a LOT in the middle of winter when you open your jars of canned goods! Yummm...

Kateri said...

The jars of canned pizza sauce are so pretty. Would you mind sharing how you make the tomato juice? I tried to make tomato juice to can last year, but it turned out so thick and rich we couldn' drink it and have been using it in cooking instead.

I'm coming over from Farmgirl friday...

Millie said...

This looks really good. If my tomatoes ever get ripe, I might have to try this.