Monday, August 15, 2011

What I had for supper!!


Yesterday was a rather cool day.  No it was not 32 degrees and snowing!!  But the temperature only got up to the mid 70's and it was raining most of the day.  Which seems pretty cool when you are used to the temperature being in the 90's with 90% humidity.  So I decided to rummage through my freezer and pantry to see what I could make.  During one of my past post I talked about how I cook up chickens and use half now and half of it later.  See my   Chicken in every pot post.  Well I had half of a chicken shredded up and in the freezer.  I also had some chicken broth that I strained off  several chickens I cooked up for my friends wedding.  I had that frozen  in the freezer as well.  I pulled that out and put in a pot on the stove.  I also one quart jar of canned northern beans.  With this I made Creamy White Chili.  See taste of home web site for the Creamy White Chili recipe.  I just adapt it to what I have.  I omit the green chilies.  My kids don't like it spicy.  I also just add dried onion to the broth.  Sometimes if I don't have sour cream or heavy cream I just add any dairy that I have.  Last night I added a can of evaporated milk.  It still turned out scrumptious.  The flavors are so good and it is a nice difference to a tomato based chili.
I did not want to serve my chili alone so I made corn bread.  Now the recipe I use for corn bread came out of my grandma's church cook book.  It is titled The Best Corn Bread.  Now I don't know if it is the best corn bread ever, but it sure is the best I have ever tasted.  I think the fact you bake it in a iron skillet makes it so golden brown and crispy on the edges.  Here is the recipe. 

The Best Corn Bread
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup hot milk
1 egg, beaten

Put the margarine in an iron skillet.  Put in the oven and turn on to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Place cornmeal in bowl and add hot milk.  Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.  Now add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and egg.  Mix until combined.  Pull the skillet out and coat the bottom and side of pan with melted margarine.  Add the margarine to the batter.  Stir until combined and pout the batter into the greased skillet.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.


You can either loosen edges and invert onto a serving plate or cut first and then remove the slices.  I like to serve upside down.  You can see the golden edges. It is crispy and oh so good.  I serve with butter and honey. 


The meal is complete and ready to serve.  My son and I like to crumble the cornbread right into our soup.  My husband and younger son just eat it with butter and honey.  When all four of us are eating there are never any left overs of this corn bread.  Here is my meal all served up and ready to eat.  The jar on the table is filled with fresh golden honey.  A gift from a friend with Bees!! 


I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop





3 comments:

Mary said...

That looks soooo good! We're going to come over for supper! Is that our honey? How did the first day of school go with the boys?

Farmer Sis #1

Lynn said...

Well now I'm hungry for corn bread :) This looks yummy.

Dollwood Farms said...

mmmm, i will have to try this soon. I made cornbread the other night and it was terrible, lol