Thursday, September 29, 2011

Beeswax Salve

A while back I posted on what a salve was.  Look at components of a salve .  I finally ran out of my basic beeswax salve that I use for my son's eczema.  So today I made a new batch and I decided to show everyone how easy it is to make a salve.  Like my former post says, I consider a salve something that is just has an oil base that is mixed with a wax.  Here is how I make mine.

First I gather my ingredients.  I use 3 different types of carrier oils, all natural beeswax, essential oils, and vitamin E oil.  I melt the wax in a double boiler so I don't destroy all the wonderful properties that the beeswax has. You can use any type of wax but I prefer to use the pure beeswax.


The recipe I use for my beeswax salve I got many years ago from someone.  I use the same base recipe I just changed the types of base oils and essential oils.  First you measure out your carrier oils and put into your double boiler.  I use 1/3 cup of apricot kernel oil, 1/3 cup grape seed oil, and 1/3 cup of sesame oil.  If I am out of one I will substitute for another oil.  The original recipe used almond oil in place of the grape seed oil.  My son is allergic to almonds so I don't use that.  You can substitute any oil for the base oils.  You can even use all of 1 kind if you choose.  You just need 1 cup of oil.  I try using oils that are very nourishing for the skin since I use it for my son's eczema.


Next you need to grate your beeswax.  I find it easier to just make small slivers off my block with a knife.  I have a designated knife just for shaving off my beeswax.  It is not easy to get the beeswax off the knife.  Measure out 1/3 cup of beeswax.  I make sure the 1/3 cup measuring cup is packed nice and full. 



Once you put the beeswax in put your double boiler on medium low heat and heat until the wax melts.  Beeswax has a very high melting point.  This will take a while, but if you grate it or shave the wax it will melt a lot faster. 



When the wax is melted pull of the heat and add your essential oils.  I use 8 different essential oils.  I use 10 drops of each oil. I also add vitamin E oil at this time.  It helps the skin plus it helps keep the oils fresh.  You can use any combination of essential oils you want.  I looked up and studied all the different oils that would help and treat eczema.  That is how I came up with the combination I use. 


After you finish putting in your essential oils give it a quick stir and then pour it into a container.  I use empty containers from other lotions and things.  I like to recycle and not throw things out that I could use for salves or lotions.


Let your salve completely cool and then put on your lid and store in until ready to use. 


I use my salve for anything I would use triple antibiotic ointment for.  Because I have essential oils that in it that have antibiotic properties.  I also use it for basically any skin problems, rashes, dry skin, sunburn, basically anything on the skin you can think of.

Just remember when making a salve, adapt it to your needs.  As long as you don't change the quantities of the ingredients you will be fine.  Substitute out any oil for oil and essential oils for essential oils.  Enjoy and have fun trying out salve recipes. 

6 comments:

Ladybug said...

Great Tutorial/photos too
you always put so must into your
posting.. So simple and easy..
Awesome Teacher :-) You get A+
Hugs....
Ladybug

Damo Corinne Jacob said...

Wow! I have terrible skin and the Chemist creams etc are so expensive! I am going to have a go at this (when I get a chance to find the ingredients). Maybe I wont have to use as much steroid creams...:)
Thank you!
Corinne

Carrie said...

What combination of oils do you use? I have eczema, too! Do you think this is safe to use on a 1 year old?
Thanks!

ShaneandShelly Cole said...

Hi, you state you use 10 different oils, but you never stated WHAT the oils are. I know ppl like my husband for an example, who has eczema too and would LOVE to know what the 10 oils are that you used in your beehive salve

ShaneandShelly Cole said...

Hi, you state you use 10 different oils, but you never stated WHAT the oils are. I know ppl like my husband for an example, who has eczema too and would LOVE to know what the 10 oils are that you used in your beehive salve

Creations by Dina said...

I use 8 oils and it is 10 drops of each. The oils I use are tea tree, chamomile, peppermint, cedarwood, lavender, lemon, eucalyptus, and rosemary. There are different reasons behind each that I use. It also works great for a natural antibiotic ointment too!!