Friday, September 2, 2011

Canning Grape Juice

I love concord grapes.  Just the smell of them brings me back to my childhood at our county fair.  I love eating a bunch of concord grapes right off the vine.  Nothing says fall is here more than the concord grapes ripening up.  My mom picked all she wanted off the vines at the farm so I went out and picked.  I decided to can grape juice.  Grape juice is very easy to can.  I love how my entire house smells of grapes.  
First you need to de-stem your grapes and wash them.  Put your grapes in a stock pot or kettle and cover the grapes with water.   


Bring  to a boil and cook until the grapes are tender and the skins are falling off. 


Now you strain the grapes through a jelly bag.  I put my colander over my stock pot.  Then I scoop a little at a time into the colander until all the juice has gone through.  Let sit until all  the juice has come through the bag.  Here is my last little bit draining through the bag. 


Return all the juice to a stock pot and add sugar to taste.  Bring back to boil and fill your clean sterilized jars with the juice leaving 1/4 inch head space.  Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.  I got 9 gorgeous jars of dark purple juice to put in my pantry.