Thursday, September 8, 2011

Canning Potatoes

Potatoes are easy to can but a little time consuming.  First you need to wash the dirt off your potatoes.  Then peel and cube them into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces.  If you want whole potatoes you need to have them 1 to 2 inches in diameter. I peel and cube them up and put them into cold water into my stock pot.  Once I have all my potatoes done up or my stock pot is full I then prepare to can them.  Cover your potatoes in hot water and bring to a boil.  Boil for 2 minutes. If you are canning whole potatoes boil for 10 minutes.


Remove from the heat and using a slotted spoon fill your clean sterilized jars with your potatoes.  Fill leaving 1 inch head space.  You can add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart jar or 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pint jar if desired.  Salt is only for flavoring and does not help the preserving process.  I don't add salt to my vegetables.  I prefer to season them after I open them up depending on what I will be using them for.  Then fill your jars with boiling water leaving 1 inch head space.


Wipe the jar rims clean and then adjust lids.  Process in a pressure canner at 11 lbs pressure for a dial gauge and 10 lbs pressure for a weighted gauge.  Process quarts for 40 minutes and pints for 35 minutes. Let cool on a towel on your counter and wait to hear them seal.  Once jars have completely cooled check to make sure all your jars have sealed.  If any haven't sealed put them in the refrigerator and use within a week.  I got 14 quarts of potatoes.  Once the jars have completely cooled the liquid will turn a little white.  That is normal.  It is the starch from the potatoes. 


I use my canned potatoes for soups, stews, mashed potatoes, pierogis, fried up with butter, potato salad, and anything else I need potatoes for!!  It is so convenient to have potatoes already pealed and ready to go!! 


2 comments:

labbie1 said...

This was really interesting! I would have thought that they would turn black or darken. A new idea for me! Thanks! :)

Ladybug said...

Great idea will past this long
to my Sis her hubby eat potato's
every day... Thanks for sharing
Are these from your Veggie garden?



Autumn Blessings
Ladybug '=_)