Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pumpkin Seed Brittle


Are you or someone you know allergic to peanuts?  This recipe takes the traditional peanut brittle and replaces the peanuts with pumpkin seeds.  My kids are allergic to peanuts.  So when it comes to some of my favorite treats to make I have to get creative and make them safe for my kids to eat.  I normally make this for Christmas but our county fair is next week and I wanted to have some snacks to munch on.  I refuse to pay top dollar for snacks at the fair.  Especially when I can make the same thing and it tastes so much better. 

In order to make pumpkin seed brittle I altered my favorite peanut brittle recipe.  I guess you can call it altering.  The only thing that is different is I use raw pumpkin seeds instead of the raw peanuts.  You can use any seed or nut in this recipe.  My son is also allergic to tree nuts so I use seeds in recipes.  Normally I use pumpkin or sunflower seeds.  Here are the steps to make your brittle.

First in a heavy saucepan combine your sugar, Karo, and water.  Use a candy thermometer and cook to the soft ball stage of 236 degrees Fahrenheit. 


While the sugar is cooking I get my pumpkin seeds and salt ready.


Once the sugar reaches the soft ball stage you add your pumpkin seeds and salt.


Continue to cook stirring constantly until the mixture reaches the hard crack stage at 295 degrees Fahrenheit. You can see in the photo below that the seeds are being cooked and many of them are starting to turn brown.


Remove the pan from the heat when it reaches the hard crack stage.  Now add you butter and baking soda. 


Pour the Pumpkin Seed Brittle onto greased cookie sheets.  Normally two will be plenty depending on the size of your cookie sheets.  You can fit it all onto one if you have a larger cookie sheet.  I just spray them with vegetable cooking spray.   Using your spoon spread the mixture out.  Not too thin. 


Now let it completely cool.  Once it is cooled you can pick the entire sheet up.  My kids think this is really neat!!! 


Now break your brittle into bite size pieces and store in an airtight container!! 


Pumpkin Seed Brittle
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of Karo
1/2 cup water
1 8oz package of green pumpkin seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Combine sugar, Karo, and water.  Cook slowly until sugar dissolves.  Cook to soft ball stage 236 degrees Fahrenheit.  Add pumpkin seeds and salt.  Cook to hard crack stage 295 degrees Fahrenheit stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Add butter and baking soda.  Stir and pour evenly onto a well greased cookie sheet.  Spread out with a spoon, not too thin.  When cold break into pieces.  Store in an airtight container.

I am linking to Farmgirl Friday at Deborah Jean's Dandelion House

Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop





6 comments:

Michelle said...

Luckily, no one is my house is allergic to peanuts. But those sound wonderful - we'll have to give them a try.

Candy C. said...

That is the same brittle recipe that my mom passed down to me MANY years ago! It is the best! :)

Kathryn D. Duke said...

you know I used to make peanut brittle and this makes me want to again....great recipe!! thanks

Heidi said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Millie said...

What a great idea!

labbie1 said...

Great idea for allergies! Way to go!