Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Making Pierogis

After spending a week in Disney World eating all that rich food I wanted something kind of bland for supper.  So I threw some country ribs in the slow cooker and and decided to make pierogis for the side dish.  Now I am not Polish and don't pretend to be.  So I don't make my pierogis in the traditional Polish way.  My friend who is Polish makes them with all kinds of fillings like sauerkraut, sausage, potato, and even fruit fillings.  She also fries them in butter after they are boiled. I just stick to the basic potato filling and don't fry them after they are boiled.

For the dough you mix together 4 cups of flour, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2/3 cup warm water.  I mix it together with a fork.  Once it clumps together knead the dough until firm and elastic.  I put the dough on the counter and turn the bowl upside down and cover the dough.  Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. (When my son had a severe milk allergy I replaced the sour cream with a non dairy sour cream, the dough still made up nicely)

Then I prepare the filling.  For the filling I use one quart jar of my canned potatoes.  I bring them back to a boil then drain and mash.  You can salt them and flavor them with cheese or onion or just leave them plain. 

Now cut your dough in half and roll out onto a floured surface.  Roll to a 1/8 inch thickness.  (I have never been able to get this dough that thin.  They still turn out nicely though)  Cut into 3 inch rounds with a cutter.  Place a small teaspoonful of filling in the center of each round.  Fold in half and press together firmly to seal.  I use a pierogi press to seal the edges good.  You can also use a fork around the edges to flute them and get a better seal. 


I press them together first by hand then lay them in the pierogi press


A quick flip and I have nicely sealed and fluted edges!


The recipe says it yields 7 dozen.  I have never gotten anywhere near that many.  I also can never get the dough that thin.  I normally get about 4 dozen pierogis.  I just lay them on clean kitchen towels as I finish them.  I normally cook up half for dinner and freeze the other half for another night.


To freeze I just lay the uncooked pierogis on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer.


When they are completely frozen I put them in a vacuum seal bag and vacuum seal them.  To make them I just put them right in my boiling water straight out of the freezer and cook like normal.


To cook the pierogis bring a pot of water to boil.  I add chicken bouillon with 1 teaspoon of oil to the water.  Drop in the pierogis.  Do not crowd them.  You will have to boil them in several batches.  Simmer for 15 minutes.  Stirring gently with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking.  To serve I toss them in melted butter or margarine. 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

This looks so good! And I even have that white thing which is just great!!! I can't wait to try these!