Sunday, October 23, 2011

Putting up the Harvest

The other day we harvested a bunch of things out of the family garden.  I  canned beets, carrots and sweet potatoes. 


I also threw a bunch of red bell peppers and onions in the dehydrator.  The hot peppers I sting up and hang in my kitchen window to dry.  All you have to do is take a needle and thread.  Pull the needle through the stem on the pepper.  Do a bunch and hang up to dry.  I like doing this with the hot peppers.  As they dry they turn red and then completely dry out.  These then can be used for crafts, cooking, flavored oils and vinegars or just for decoration. 

Here are my peppers hung up in my kitchen window.  The ones on the right are from a previous year and are dry. 


Some onions I put in old clean panty hose.  I tie a knot after each onion.  This separates them and allows them to dry better.  Plus when you want an onion all you have to do is cut off the bottom knot and remove an onion.


All in all I had a pretty productive day of preserving my harvest.  There are still a lot more vegetables in the garden to harvest!!  My canner has not been put away for the season yet!!

1 comment:

Kathryn D. Duke said...

you certainly do a great job of preserving your harvest!! Never thought of canning sweet potatoes...nice blog and enjoy reading.
Blessings,Kathy