Monday, November 14, 2011

Feezing Pumpkin

We wanted to get the pumpkin preserved before our first snow hit last week.  So my mom cooked up several and froze them and I took 3 pumpkins and did the same.  Freezing pumpkin is so much easier and more practical than canning it.  You can't puree your pumpkin if you want to can it.  Most recipes use pumpkin puree. 

To start wash your pumpkin and cut in half.  Scoop out the seeds and guts.  Save the seeds to cook for a snack or to plant next year.  Then place your pumpkin halves cut side down on a cookie sheet with a lip or a 9x13 baking pan.


Put in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.  Depending on the size of your pumpkin.  Once they are soft to the touch remove from the oven and let cool enough to handle.


Flip over the pumpkins and scoop out the pulp.  It is easiest to put it in your blender.  Blend until smooth and pour into your freezer containers. 


Put on your lids and pop them into the freezer.  I ended up with 12 cups of pumpkin puree ready to use for future recipes throughout the year!!  I can't wait to make some pumpkin rolls, pies, scones, and fudge!!


I toasted up the seeds afterwards and the boys enjoyed a great healthy snack!!  I cleaned the seeds and rinsed them.  I drizzled the seeds with Worcestershire sauce then sprinkled  with seasoning salt and garlic powder.  Then I toast them at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until they  start to turn brown and toast!!  Yum!!


I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop





3 comments:

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

Oh I am excited to try this! Mine froze ok. Outside they are frozen. I'll just pop them in the freezer until I have time. Thank you for sharing.

Andrea said...

So I have 10 pumpkins I got for free from my local farm and I have been searching for a way to preserve them! This post is so informative and I cant wait to get to work on those pumpkins:) I think my subscribers would really enjoy reading this. I would love for you to come share it at Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on Frugally Sustainable this Wednesday. And, I really hope that you will put Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on your list of carnivals to visit and link to each Wednesday!

Warmly,
Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable
Here's the link: http://www.frugallysustainable.com

Andrea said...

Dina! You made it:) Thank you so very much for linking up to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways:) I'm so happy to "meet" you! I am totally loving your blog and your posts! I really hope you make Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways a part of your Wednesdays! And keep the great posts comin'
Very sincerely,
Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable