Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Recycled Christmas Containers


Can you believe that these cute Christmas containers once held ice cream!!  When we were buying a lot of ice cream in the summer I realized that the Blue Bunny ice cream came in plastic containers.  It not only kept the ice cream fresher it gave me a great idea to keep the containers to reuse for crafts.  I like to give a lot of homemade goodies and it is nice to have free containers to put them into.  Here is what the ice cream container looks like when you buy it from the store.


I did have to paint 2 coats of base paint and then one coat of the sponged on paint to cover the design.  Then I found these rub on decals for 50 cents a pack at our local craft store.  I normally like to paint on my own designs but when I am low on time these decals make for a quick craft.  After I put on the decals I sealed the containers with a coat of matte finish modge podge.  Now I have 7 very nice containers to fill with some homemade goodies!!


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Way to go... this is such a cute idea! I've been saving oatmeal containers, I plan on decorating them alittle & maybe putting hm caramel corn in them as Christmas gifts :)

Ladybug said...

Those are adorable!! what clever
idea for recycling producs...
Oh how we Love Blue Bunny Ice Cream
:-) LOL
Hugs
Ladybug ....

Andrea said...

You are brilliant! This idea is so creative:) Thank you so very much for linking up to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways:) It is my sincere hope that you will continue to make Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways a part of your Wednesdays! Keep the great posts comin':)
Blessings,
Andrea
www.frugallysustainable.com