Friday, December 23, 2011

Cocoa Butter Lotion and Honey Hand Creme

I like to make lotion to give as gifts each year at Christmas.  Family members have come to look forward to this annual gift.  I was a little late in getting them made this year and I did not know if I would get it done.  But I did not want to disappoint my family so I took a little time and made some lotion.

Cocoa Butter Lotion is one of my favorite lotions.  It is a recipe that I found on line and once again adapted it to suit my son's allergies.  Lotions are a little harder to make than a salve.  You have to mix your oils with your water and this creates that creamy lotion.

To start with I measure out my beeswax.  For this recipe I need 1/2 an ounce.  I use a small scale that I bought specifically for making lotions.  This is put into a double boiler.  



Next I measure out 1/3 cup cocoa butter.  Cocoa Butter is an oil that is solid at room temperature.  I add this to the double boiler.


Then I measure out 1 teaspoon of lanolin.  Lanolin is an oil that is derived from sheep wool.  If you have ever worked with wool yarn you can smell the lanolin in it.  It is a very thick and sticky oil that is very nourishing for the skin.  If you breast fed your babies you might be familiar with lanolin.  It is used on the breasts to keep them from getting chapped and sore.


Now I add 3/4 of a cup of apricot kernel oil.  All these oils and the beeswax goes into the double boiler.  I heat it on low until the beeswax melts.  Beeswax has a high melting point.  The lanolin and cocoa butter will melt before the beeswax will.



While the oils are melting I measure out 2/3 cups of filtered water and 1/3 cup of aloe vera juice. 


Once the beeswax melts take it off the heat.  The next step is the tricky part.  It took me several tries to get this part right when I first learned to make lotion.  With one hand using a wire whisk in the oil start whisking the oil while slowly pouring in the water and aloe vera juice.  Continue to pour in the water while whisking until the water is completely incorporated. 



The key to keeping your lotions from separating is to continue to whisk it together and not to stop until the lotion is completely cool.  Once it is cool pour it into containers.  And then label them.


One batch filled 3  4oz containers.  I made two
batches so I would have plenty to give out.



To make the honey hand creme you start the same way.  Measure out your
beeswax.  This recipe needs 1 oz of beeswax.



Next I measure out the oil.  This recipe uses 1 1/2 cups of apricot kernel oil.
  Put the beeswax and the oil in a double boiler. Now add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of
honey.  I used some local honey that a friend gave me from her hive!!


Once the beeswax melts take it off the heat.  Stir with a whisk while adding 1 1/2 cups of filtered water.  Continue to whisk together until the lotion is completely cooled and becomes thick.  Add in your peppermint essential oil.  I added about 15 drops to give it a good scent. 


Pour into containers and label. 



This recipe filled 5  4oz containers.  So I only made one batch of this lotion.



The cocoa butter lotion is on the left and the honey hand creme is on the right.
You can see the the cocoa butter lotion is slightly darker yellow than the honey hand creme.
I don't add any essential oil to the cocoa butter lotion because I like the slight
chocolate smell that it has!!



12 comments:

Ladybug said...

Merry Christmas you are a amazing homemaker such gifted talent you have.

Warm Christmas Blessings
Thoughts and Prayers
Hugs Ladybug :-)

Good Girl Gone Green said...

Looks great! :)

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Mmm...yummy smooth and silky!
:)

Deborah Jean at Dandelion House said...

Can I buy some of your hand cream? It looks and sounds wonderful?
Happy New Year and thanks so much for sharing your talents with us farmgirls every Friday!

Abbi said...

This sounds neat! A fun way to use some of our beeswax!

Millie said...

Those look wonderful! I keep thinking I'd like to try making a hand creme. These look easy and good.

Megan said...

Do you have any books that you get your recipes from? This looks like a great gift idea! How long does it keep? Do your lotions ever "spoil"? Thanks for sharing!

That's the Way It Is said...

This is 2 very amazing recipes. Is it possible to use a different kind of oil rather than apricot?

THANK YOU! :)

That's the Way It Is said...

Hi :)
These are amazing and would love to make them, but is it possible to use another type of oil rather than apricot?
Thank you so much!

Creations by Dina said...

Yes, you can use any other type of oil you want. Most recipes call for Sweet Almond oil. Which is very good for the skin. I don't use that because my son is allergic to tree nuts. Grape Seed oil is also another oil I use a lot and it is also very good for the skin.

Anel said...

Hi Dina,

What would you say the use by date is on such a product?

Thanks!
Anel

Creations by Dina said...

We normally use it up pretty quickly. But without preservatives they don't last more than a couple months. I have had the cocoa butter lotion for almost a year but the quality of the lotion goes down and you can tell that they oil has slightly turned. Do make sure you boil your water for the honey lotion. I have noticed on batches that I have not boiled they can grow mold on top.