Monday, December 19, 2011

Home Made Dog Treats

Time has sure flown by.  My last post was at the beginning of December when we made the gingerbread houses.  Now it is less than a week to Christmas!!  My December has been very busy.  I have made Christmas gifts, baked cookies, and made Christmas Candy.  We have also been on a few field trips and I have been busy home schooling as well.  I finally took the time to take a few pictures of something I made so I could take the time to share on my blog. 

My younger son likes to make dog treats each year to give as gifts to family members and friends who have dogs.  I like to teach my kids the joy of giving this time of year too!

The first recipe he made was the dog cookies.  Here is the recipe.

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup powdered milk
1/3 cup melted beef fat or bacon drippings
1 large egg
1 cup cold water

If you don't have beef fat or bacon drippings no problem.  Just melt some vegetable shortening and add beef bouillon to it. 

Mix everything together to form a dough.  Roll out to a 1/2 inch thickness and cut out using a bone shape cookie cutter.  I have a small 1inch one that makes cute bite size treats for puppies and small dogs.  I also have a 3 inch cutter that we make for large dogs. 

Cut out and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes.

The next recipe my son made was the fido biscuits. Here is the recipe for those.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3 Tablespoons quick oats
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon beef bouillon
2/3 cup water

Mix together to form a dough.  Roll out to a 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut with bone shaped cookie cutters.  Place on ungreased Cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.  Turn over biscuits and bake for another 10 minutes. 




We put the treats in bags and tied them up with a bow.


Then we put them into the ice cream containers that I had prepared earlier



My son wanted the bows and ribbons to match the color of the containers. 
I printed up gift tags with a little dog on it. 
My son wrote the dog's name on the tags that he is giving them too!!



Here are the three packages of dog treats he made to give away. 
He is so proud to have made some gifts to give for Christmas!!


I am linking to Homestead Barn hop

4 comments:

Deborah Jean at Dandelion House said...

These are just adorable and so clever... I love that your son is involved in the process too! Great to have a little helper in the kitchen especially at Christmas time!

dr momi said...

....there will be some vey happy dogs this Christmas!

Ladybug said...

when we had doggies I also made those sweet little treats for them
I still have all my cutters and the
recipe..Doogies love them....

hugs... Ladybug

Indu Senchati said...

These are really good. Dogs are also like a family members in our homes. We cant treat them as others. It will give much happiness, when we feed our dogs with the homemade treats. Now i am going to try these recipes. Thank you for sharing these recipes.