Friday, January 20, 2012

Home Made Biscuit Mix

A while ago I stopped buying pancake mix.  I found a good recipe for pancakes and waffles so I always make them from scratch.  The next time I make pancakes I will post on that.  The other night I was making a recipe that called for Bisquick.  I hardly ever buy that and I knew I had seen a recipe for it in one of my Taste of Home magazines.  So I went online and found the recipe.  The Taste of Home Recipes website is a great tool.  I use it a lot when I can't remember what magazine a certain recipe is in.  It saves me time searching through all my old magazines looking for a recipe.  Each recipe tells you what month, year, and magazine it was in.  Sometimes I print the recipe off or just quickly pull out that magazine and get the recipe.  It lists recipes from all their different magazines.

I found the recipe for  Biscuit Baking Mix in one my Quick Cooking Magazines.  I love making my own mixes.  You know what goes in them.  You can make them fresh.  And they are so much cheaper!

Mix together 9 cups of flour with 1/4 cup of baking powder and 1 tablespoon of salt.  With a pastry blender blend in 2 cups of shortening. Keep in a container with a tight fitting lid.  Use this for any recipe that calls for Bisquick.  To make biscuits mix together 2 cups of mix with 1/2 cup of milk with  a fork.  Pat dough onto counter about 1/2 inch thick.  Cut out with biscuit cutter.  I use a 1 1/2 inch cutter and get 18 biscuits.  If you use a larger cutter you will get less.  Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 15-17 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. 


Even my picky eater loved these biscuits.  It is so easy to make a quick batch for breakfast.  We ate the left over biscuits for lunch with creamed turkey. Yum!

1 comment:

labbie1 said...

Sounds great! It seems like bisquick has a lot of sodium in it--or is it just me?

BTW, what is baking flour? Is that bread flour?

Thanks for the recipe! I do like biscuits and use bisquick for other things like rolled or dropped dumplings as well. This sounds like it would be better!

You can just answer here--I will get the answer by e-mail. Thanks! :)