Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Home Made Butter Spread

Home made butter spread  is not that difficult.  I used to buy butter spreads.  The butter that had omega 3 mixed in and was spreadable.  These spreads still had preservatives and other things added to them.  And they are expensive.  My kids need the extra omega 3 in their diet.  As well as my husband and I.  My one son has a slight allergy to fish.  His throat feels like it is closing up when he eats it and it gives him a stomach ache.  So I turn to flax seed oil.  Flax is high in omega 3.  Just 1 Tablespoon of flax seed oil contains 7,420mg of omega 3, 2,170 mg of omega 9, and 1,960 mg of omega 6.  All I do to make butter spread is let a stick of butter soften.  Then I add 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil.  Mix it in well.  Put it into a container with a lid and put it in the fridge.  If it gets too hard let it soften again and add a little more flax seed oil.  Now you have a spreadable butter that is high in the omega complexes that did not cost you a fortune!! 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I try to use butter for everything. I am always having to soften my butter in the microwave,when I needed it spreadable. Now I can have it handle all the time. Thank you so much for sharing.

Jessica said...

Smart! What a great idea! I just found your blog and I'm loving it! Thanks for sharing all your helpful recipes!