Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Home Made English Muffins

I love English Muffins.  When I was in collage I used to eat an english muffin every day for breakfast with an omlet.  Several years ago I found this recipe for english muffins on line.  I liked it because most recipes for english muffins are a batter type muffin that you poured into a ring on a griddle.  This recipe is a dough that you cut out and them grill on a griddle. 

I found the recipe on All Recipes  here is the link for it English Muffins

Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/4 cup melted shortening
  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
  3. Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
  4. Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. To use, split and toast. Great with orange butter, or cream cheese and jam.               

I use a tuna can to cut out my dough.  Try and keep the muffins close together when you are cutting out so you don't have a lot of waste.  It is hard to get the dough back together to roll out again.  But I still do.  I don't like to waste that good dough.  They just don't look as pretty when you roll out the dough again.  But they still taste great.



I use the griddle that goes to our camp stove.  I place it on two burners on my stove.  It works great. 



I cook for 9-10 minutes on each side.  You want to check them when you first put them on.  If they are getting too dark before the time is up turn the heat down a little.  It is a good thing this makes about 18 muffins or we wouldn't have any left to eat the next morning for breakfast.


Use a fork to split you muffins.  Toast up in the toaster.  I use my Butter Spread and top with my Strawberry Jam.  Yumm!!!


I am linking to Frugal Days Sustainable Ways            
                                                                                 
 


                                                                              
 

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Dear Dina,
If you get a chance, I'd sure appreciate it if you could link up to the Country Homemaker Hop. This is a great recipe and tutorial that I know other homemakers would love.
http://mysimplecountryliving.blogspot.com/2012/01/country-homemaker.html

Michelle said...

My husband loves English muffins. I make them all the time. They are so much better then the store bought ones. And a lot cheaper.

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! How cool is this?! We love English Muffins and I'm guessing these taste wonderful!

Clair said...

Ah! Yummy! This looks like the perfect activity for a day off!