Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Home Made Soft Scrub

After my last escapade cleaning the bathroom with the toxic cleaner I have been searching for a recipe to make an all natural cleaner.  I found this recipe and was eager to try it.  I used to buy soft scrub all the time but I did not like the fact that it had bleach in it.  It was so rough on my hands. 

I had the baking soda but I needed to pick up some liquid castile soap and vegetable glycerin.  I kept forgetting to buy some.  Yesterday I stopped by my local health food store and picked some up.  I was kind of scared when I saw the price of the castile soap and glycerin.  One of my reasons to switch to home made cleaners was to save money.  I was relieved when I got home and looked at the recipe again. It only took 1/2 cup of the castile soap and 4 teaspoons of the glycerin.  I figured out that my total cost was about $3 for a batch. The recipe makes 2 cups of soft scrub.  So it is comparable in price to the kind you buy at the store.  But with one great benefit.  No chemicals or bleach. 

Here is the recipe for  Soft Scrub.  To Make it you mix together 2 cups of baking soda with 1/2 cup liquid castile soap and 4 teaspoons of vegetable glycerin.  Add 5 or more drops of essential oil of your choice.  (Try Lavender, Tea Tree, Rosemary, or Peppermint.)


The liquid castile soap that I bought already had peppermint essential oil in it.  So I didn't add any more essential oil.  It does not take long to mix up. 


Spoon into a jar with a lid and label it.  This pint mason jar is filled to the rim. 


To use scoop some out onto a sponge and clean away.  Rinse off and dry.  I used the soft scrub that was left on the spoon to clean off my stove.  I used what was left in the bowl to clean half of my bathroom.  I was surprised at how little I actually used to clean my entire bathroom.  And My bathroom smelled like peppermint.  One of my kids walked by and commented on how nice the bathroom smelled.  What a huge difference from the last time I cleaned the bathroom. The website I got the recipe off of suggested to spray with diluted vinegar on tough stain areas.  I used some vinegar in the shower but that was it.  The toilet, sink, and floor all turned out sparkling clean just using the soft scrub.  I cleaned the bathroom yesterday and it stells smells like peppermint today!



I am linking to The Country Homemaker Hop

5 comments:

Kathryn D. Duke said...

great, frugal idea...thanks, I think I will try some and let you know!!

Michelle said...

I am going to have try this. Hopefully I can find the items in the store.

Ladybug said...

Dina
Thanks so much for sharing..
think I might have some castile
soap.. have try this...

Hugs...

Heidi said...

I agree with the earlier posts. I am going to try this. I love the idea of using the peppermint oil castile soap. That would be a very nice fragrance in the bathroom. Thank you for sharing this great practical recipe.

Heidi- The White Wolf Summit FarmGirl said...

Hello again Dina,
I am dropping by to thank you for sharing this fantastic DIY soft scrub recipe on The Country Homemaker blog hop last year. I wanted to share with you that this post was the 8th most popular post of the entire year!

http://mysimplecountryliving.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-country-homemaker-hop-53.html

Thanks again.
Heidi