Thursday, January 5, 2012

Natural Dandruff Treatment

My son who has eczema is plagued with dry skin.  This time of year is especially tough on his scalp.  When the temperatures go down and the heat is turned on  his skin just dries right out. I felt so bad for him when he was in public school.  Kids made fun of him because of his dandruff.  I started using this treatment for him then which helped a lot.  Now that he is home schooled we don't have kids making fun of him anymore.  But I continue to use this on his scalp all winter long.  I use it on my own scalp periodically in the winter too!!

Mix 3 drops cedar wood essential oil, 3 drops rosemary essential oil, and 3 drops of tea tree essential oil into 2 Tablespoons of oil.  You can use any type of carrier oil you prefer.  Olive oil works well.  I use apricot kernel oil or grape seed oil.  I normally make a large bottle of this up in the beginning of winter to use through out the winter.  To use apply directly to the scalp and massage in.  Your can massage it through your hair as well.  (I normally don't because I have very long hair)  then wrap your head in a towel and relax for one hour.   Shampoo and rinse.  You can also add a few drops of the essential oils to your shampoo to use on a regular basis. 

For my son I have him wet his hair in the bath and massage it in.  He leaves it in while he is taking an oatmeal milk bath.  Then when he is done I have him shampoo it and rinse it.  He says his head feels so much better and is not so itchy when we use this on a regular basis. 

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Thanks for the tip, I am going to try this on my dry Colorado scalp.

labbie1 said...

Thanks for the tip! Sounds just wonderful and I bet it smell yummy! :)

Logan Janzen said...

Green Tea is one of the best treatments to get rid of dandruff. Dr. Oz did a bit on using green tea to treat dandruff a while back. It is easiest if you simply add green tea to your water. You can add about 20 tea bags and add other healing herbs. Or you can buy pre-made versions with aromatherapy somewhere like http://greenteabaths.com/