Thursday, January 12, 2012

Peppermint Marshmallows

 If you have left over peppermint candy canes from Christmas turn them into a fat free snack that can be eaten straight or put in a cup of hot chocolate. You will need 8 regular size candy canes.  Take off the wrappers and crush.  You should yield about 1/2 cup of crushed candy cane.


Put the candy cane in a small sauce pan.


Add to the pan 1 1/3 cups of sugar and 2/3 cup of light corn syrup and 1/8th teaspoon of salt.
Bring to a boil and cook until all the candy pieces are dissolved.


While that is cooking dissolve 2 packages of unflavored gelatin in 2/3 cups of cold water.
I do this right in my Kitchen Aid Mixer.



When the candy cane mixture  has come to a boil and the candy canes are dissolved take off the heat and add to the gelatin.  Start your mixer on slow speed and gradually increase the speed until you have it on high speed.  This normally takes a couple of minutes.  Mix for 13-15 minutes.  Start the time when you first turn on your mixer. 




While the marshmallow is mixing prepare your pans.  Mix together 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1/3 cup cornstarch.  Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  Dust with the powdered sugar mixture.  Do not throw out the rest.  You will use this on top of the marshmallow and to toss the marshmallows in after cut.  I made two batches so I prepared two pans.


When the marshmallow starts forming into a fluffy thick marshmallow it is time to take it out of the mixer.  You want it thick almost like a royal icing.  If it runs off the beaters the marshmallow is not ready yet.




Spread your marshmallow into a pan.  If you can't get it to spread real well that is ok.  Dust the top of the marshmallow with the powdered sugar mixture.  Now you can use your hands to push the marshmallow into the pan the rest of the way.  Sometimes I can actually get it spread without using my hands and sometimes I have to add the powdered sugar mixture first.  Dust the top of your marshmallow with the powdered sugar mixture and let sit until it sets up. 



When you are ready to cut the marshmallow up you can pull the entire marshmallow right out of the pan.  Then cut into squares.  I normally cut these into squares for myself.  This time I made them for the girls at church.  They used cookie cutters to cut out shapes.  After they are cut put them in a bag with the powdered sugar mixture and shake to coat.  This will keep the marshmallows from sticking to each other. The girls had a blast cutting out their marshmallows and eating them!! I would have taken pictures of them cut up but my hands were covered in powdered sugar.  Plus with 7 girls between the ages of 6 and 9 we had powdered sugar everywhere!! 

Enjoy!!




I am  linking to The Country Homemaker


I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop



4 comments:

Heidi said...

Yum!!! This recipe looks really good and you're right, what a great way to use up those extra candy canes. Thank you for sharing!!!

Michelle said...

I have a lot of candy canes. I will be making this for sure. How long do they keep?

Lynnie said...

Oh my goodness, this looks delish! thanks for sharing, we too have candy canes left over from Christmas! Blessings

krissy beeson said...

What can you substitute for the corn syrup?