Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sweet Potato Pie

I have never had sweet potato pie before.  But after getting a bumper crop of sweet potatoes this year I wanted to try making it.  So I looked up some recipes on line and I decided to make Paula Dean's recipe for sweet potato pie.  The first time I made it I followed her recipe exactly including the meringue.  My son who loves pie immediately said it was better than pumpkin pie.  I decided to make it a second time for a church dinner.  This time I made Paula Dean's recipe for the pie, but I added a marshmallow meringue instead of the regular meringue.  I found the recipe for that in one of my old Christmas craft books.  The results were amazing.  It went over well at church.  None left for me to take home.  Just look at the piece of pie piled high with the marshmallow meringue.


The first two times I made the pie I baked a sweet potato and made it from that.  This time I used a quart jar of sweet potatoes that I had canned in the fall.  It still tasted the same as baking a fresh potato.


Drained and smashed if makes two cups.  That is what Paula's recipe calls for!


First you need to prepare a unbaked pie crust.  For a 1 crust pie I use 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 5 1/3  Rounded Tablespoons of vegetable shortening and 2 Tablespoons of water.  Roll out and prepare your pie crust.  To see step by step of this look at my Mulberry Pie post.


Now prepare your filling.  Here is the link for Paula Dean's Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie 
Mix together 2 cups sweet potatoes, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter melted, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.  Mix until smooth then add 1 cup milk.  Mix together and pour into your prepared pie crust.


Now bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.  When you put the pie in the oven start preparing the marshmallow meringue.  In a small sauce pan stir together 1/2 cup water, 2 Tablespoons sugar, and 1 Tablespoons of cornstarch.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook and stir until thick and the mixture becomes clear.  Pull off heat and let sit to cool for about 15 minutes.  In a large bowl mix 3 egg whites with 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar.  Mix until foamy.  Add cornstarch mixture and mix until blended.  Add a 7 oz jar of marshmallow creme and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.  Continue beating until soft peaks form.  When pie is baked remove from the oven and top the hot pie with the marshmallow meringue.




Return the pie to the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.  Let stand at least 30 minutes before serving.  Tastes great either warm or cold!!


I made this pie last night to serve at a New Year's Eve party.  When I pulled out a slice and my friend's little girl saw that pie with the meringue piled up on top her eyes got as big as saucers!!  She promptly said, "Mom can I have some pie!!" 

I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop

SweetasSugarCookies

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I have canned potatoes and found they tasted different afterwards. I have never tried sweet potato because I was afraid the same thing would happen with . Thanks for letting me know it wouldn't. I'll try canning them next year. Your pie looks yummy!

Lisa said...

Mmm, with that marshmallow topping it's like candied yams, only so much better! I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your pie up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogpsot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

Clair said...

I found this recipe from the Sweet as Sugar Cookies link party...it looks AMAZING. Even better that you preserve sweet potatoes! I'm going to have to do some more exploring around your space...looks like you have lots of good ideas.