Friday, January 27, 2012

Whole Wheat Blueberry Bagels

I have been making this bagel recipe since I was Junior High.  I took yeasts breads in 4-H and this was one of the recipes.  Bagels were something new to me at that time.  I grew up on a dairy farm.  We did not buy fancy things like bagels.  I quickly fell in love with these bagels and started bringing them to eat during my track meets.  The popularity grew and soon I was making double batches of them every Friday night.  I supplied the bagels for the track team and they would bring the cream cheese!

I have altered the recipe in many ways to make different types of bagels.  I also altered how I form the bagels from the original recipe. 

First dissolve 1 package of active dry yeast in 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water.  Add 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 cups bread flour, 1 tablespoon salt, and 3 tablespoons of sugar.  Beat vigorously.  Add in 1 cup dried blueberries.  I used the blueberries I dried in the summer. See my post on Freezing and Drying Blueberries

Next add enough bread flour to make a soft dough.  This can be anywhere from 1 to 2 cups.  Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic.  Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise until double in size.  This can be anywhere from an hour to 2 hours.  When it is cooler out my bread tends to take longer to rise.  If I have been baking a lot my kitchen warms up then my dough rises quicker. 



After the dough has risen to double in size, punch down the dough and divide into 12 portions.  This is where I changed the recipe.  The original recipe said to roll the dough into a 10 x 12 inch rectangle.  Cut int 12 strips, 1 x 10 inches.  Then you were to form each strip into a circle and pinch ends together.  I used to do this but as I got older I started forming each portion into a ball.  Then poke your finger through the center of it.  Then I stretch the dough out to form a ring.  These make a nicer looking bagel and they don't fall apart when you boil them.  Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Cover and let rise 20 - 30 minutes. 


Bring some water to boil in a large pan.  Drop a few bagels at a time into the boiling water and simmer for 4 minutes.  Drain the bagels and place on a greased baking sheet. 



Bake the bagels at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.  Beat 1 egg white with 1 tablespoon  of water.  Brush the bagels with egg white mixture.  Return to oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. 


These are slightly smaller than the ones you buy at the store in  a package of 6.  If you want them to be as big as the ones you buy in the store or the bakery divide the dough into only 8 portions. 

They taste great right out of the oven.  And normally don't last too many hours after I make them.  If you have any left by morning cut them in half with a serrated knife and toast them up.  With a little butter or cream cheese they make a great breakfast.  The blueberries plumped up in the dough.  It is so fun to cut one open and see all the blueberries in them!!


If you prefer plain bagels use all bread four.  You can also add a teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 cup of raisins and make cinnamon raisin bagels.  The options are limitless.  I use this recipe as a base and make all sorts of bagels.  If you use all bread flour they will raise a little higher.  Whole wheat flour does not rise as high as a high gluten flour.  Let your imagination run wild and have fun making your own bagels at home!


Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop

3 comments:

Millie said...

This looks great! Would you alter the recipe if you used fresh/frozen blueberries?

Mooberry Farmwife said...

What yummy looking bagels! I haven't made bagels in awhile. Blueberry bagels sound great! Thanks for the pictures, too!

labbie1 said...

Just catching up...

This looks wonderful! We have some blueberries left over in the freezer...hmmmm....