Saturday, February 11, 2012

Angry Bird Cake Pops

My second attempt at cake pops turned out a little better.  I still used my donut recipe so they are more like a donut hole than cake.  They taste delicious though.  The football helmets I made tasted great and went over well.  For the angry birds I cut the donut recipe in half so it only made 21.  Much better than 44.  I only had 20 set of eyes so I only made up 20 cake  pops.  I also left the sticks the size they were.



The first thing I did was separate the donut holes out into what bird I was going to make.  Then before I melted the chocolate I got the accessories ready to go. I used M&M's for the pigs nose.  For the beaks and combs on the head I used starburst or jolly rancher fruit chews.  I softened them in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds.  Then I formed them.  The beaks I formed into a cone and snipped it with a pair of scissors to open the beak.  I bought candy eyes to use.



Next I melted the chocolate and began decorating the cake pops.  I did one color of bird at a time.  For the pigs I melted green and yellow candy coating.  I found out that once I dipped them I needed to let them set up slightly before adding the ears, nose, and eyes.  I held the cake pops in the freezer for 30 seconds to set up after I attached the accessories.  For the yellow birds I slivered off the sides to make it more triangular.  For the yellow and red birds I added the white on the bellies after the rest of it had set up.  I used black royal icing for the eye brows and black combs.    I did not get real detailed with them but they still turned out pretty cute.









I did not have enough sticks so I had to cut a couple in half.  I used the 3 pigs on the short sticks to decorate my son's birthday cake with. 



After the royal icing set up I put the cake pops in treat bags and tied them up with some yarn in a bow.  I put them in some Styrofoam in a basket.  My son said they looked better than the ones he saw on line.  Don't you just love it when you kids think that everything you do is the best. 
I guess I should eat this up while they still feel this way.  I am sure all that will change when they become teenagers!!


I am linking to  Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop


I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop



10 comments:

labbie1 said...

ohmygosh those are CUTE!!!! I can't believe how much they look like Angry Birds! You are way talented! Happy Birthday to your son! :)

Kathryn D. Duke said...

these are too cute and I do not really even know what angry birds is all about...only heard of them?? a game??? anyway, your are very creative!!

Carrie said...

How cute are those!? Nice job!

Heidi said...

Those are adorable. My son and m y new daughter-in-law love the game. Thank you for this great idea. Her birthday is coming in April. I am going to try this. Thanks again for sharing such a FUN idea.

MC said...

These look amazing, Better than the other versions I've seen online. How did you get the white bellies of the red birds on with that shape? I've only seen semicircles from others from doing a straight dip into candy melts.

Niina said...

Those are cute!!

Kim Lindsay said...

These instructions were BRILLIANT! thank you. I made these last night as a birthday gift and even i was impressed! Your pics and recommendations were spot on. The red and yellow birds with the white underbellies were the hardest. I ended up dipping the whole pop in white, then rolling it a second time in the color, avoiding the white area. I am sure to do this again. Thanks again.

Kim Lindsay said...

These instructions were BRILLIANT! thank you. I made these last night as a birthday present and even I was impressed by what I had done. The birds with the white underbelly were the hardest. I ended up dipping the whole pop in white first, then rolled them in the color avoiding the white section. I will be sure to do these again. Again, thanks for sharing!

Sharday said...

when i melt my chocolate and add the powder food coloring. i cant get the really bright colors you have. i tried adding red to the white chocolate. no matter how much powder i added it was still just pink. am i using the wrong thing?

Sharday said...

when i color my chocolate, i cant seem to get the bright colors you have. are you using a special powder food coloring?