Friday, February 3, 2012

Fun Pancakes

I used to buy pancake mix all the time.  But I could only get 2 or three batches out of each box.  It became more cost effective to make my own from scratch.  I found this great recipe in my Grandmother's church cookbook.  I normally make a double batch.  Even though my 2 boys are still in elementary school they eat as much as most adults and sometimes more.  I used to make a double batch so I would have plenty to eat over the next several days.  Now I need to make a double batch just so we have enough to eat for one breakfast.  If I have 2 or 3 pancakes left over now I am lucky.

Pancakes

1 1/4 cup flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Mix together with a whisk until well blended.  Fry up in a greased hot skillet. 

When I have extra time in the morning I will make fun pancakes for the kids.  I have several pancake molds that I use


I lay as many that will fit in my skillet and then spray them all with cooking spray.
Then I pour the batter in.  This batter really rises so I pour just enough to cover
the bottom. 



I make sure they are very done on the bottom before I remove the molds to flip them.
If you don't when you remove the molds the batter will run everywhere and
they will no longer look like they are supposed to.



Once they are done I remove them from the pan and continue on.



Aren't they cute?!! I have a Mickey head, teddy bear, dinosaur, pig, and cow!

When my kids get full of pancakes, which could range anywhere from 2 - 10 pancakes.
The pancakes are small and did I mention they are boys!! I will put some frozen blueberries in the rest of the batter and make regular blueberry pancakes for myself.  Although my oldest loves blueberry pancakes too. 



Put on some butter and some pure Ohio maple syrup and you have a great breakfast!

I am linking to Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop
 I am linking to Frugal Days Sustainable Ways



3 comments:

labbie1 said...

Now THOSE are some fun pancakes! :) You know, making your own mixes is so much better for you as well as it nearly eliminates so much of the sodium in our diets! Great blog!

labbie1 said...

PS--I remember mom would take the leftover pancakes and spread them with butter or peanut butter and some brown sugar and roll them up for us as a snack after school. Man were those GOOD--even cold! Great memory! Thanks!

Mooberry Farmwife said...

How cute! A clever way to make pancakes extra special. :) I like your blog, very nice!