Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Humidifiers

I have a love hate relationship with my humidifiers.  I love the fact that they add moisture to my house.  Especially in the winter when the heat is on.  Moisture in the air helps with dry skin and also with dry nasal passages and for breathing  when those nasty colds come on us. 
I hate the fact that humidifiers tend to be a magnet for mold and bacteria.  I have a humidifier in each kids bedroom and try to have one in the main family room.  I really try and keep them clean but it seems like the mold still builds up in them.

Someone told me that adding a tablespoon of white vinegar to the water tank helps keep the mold from developing.  Which makes sense.  Vinegar is used to clean almost anything.  It has antibacterial properties to it.  I hate the smell of vinegar but it is such a handy tool that I need to learn to use more often. 

So today I took apart the main room humidifier.  Good humidifiers will actually come apart easily for cleaning.  You can clean and disinfect them with vinegar or bleach.  I cleaned it this time with vinegar.  I got all the mold out and let the tank soak with a strong solution of vinegar and water.  Then I rinsed it all off and filled the tank back up.  This time I added 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the water tank.  I am hoping by adding vinegar to the water tank it will help keep the mold from coming back. I did the other two humidifiers too.  They are cheaper varieties with less parts to clean.  I added the vinegar to the water tanks on these.  I just need to remember to keep adding the vinegar every time I fill the tanks and see how well this keeps mold down. 

1 comment:

Jamaal Milner said...

Good move with the vinegar, Dina! Humidifiers are good addition to any home as it keeps the moisture high especially during the winter season. But, when molds start to form on the humidifiers, it can be risky for you and your family’s health. Cleaning your humidifier on a regular basis can prevent mold infestation. Aside from vinegar, you can also use tea tree oil or humidifier drops.

-Jamaal Milner