Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Reusable Snack Bag

I wanted to make snack bags to go along with my sandwich wrap.  Like the sandwich wrap there were a ton of patterns for snack bags.  I finally decided on this design.  I really like it because it has a box type bottom which allows for more room.  I decided to line my bags with cereal bags like I did the sandwich wrap.  This makes the snack bag water proof.  So I can put in things like grapes, carrots, strawberries, and other things and keep the moisture on the inside.  If you only plan to put dry things in your snack bags you don't have to line them.  Look at my post on Reusable Sandwich Wrap to find out all the different types of things you can use to line your bags. 

I found this design Here .  Like the sandwich wrap it is very easy and quick to make. 


I cut out two rectangles 14 inches x 7 1/2 inches out of cotton print fabric. Cut out paper backed iron on adhesive into a 7 1/2 in x 13 in rectangle.  This is the type you would use for applique.  The first bag I made I cut it out the same size as the fabric.  After making it I decided it would turn better if you did not have the cereal bag above the Velcro.  The second one I made I cut the adhesive in a 13 in x 7 1/2 in rectangle.  Leaving about 1/2 in on each end.  You will adhere this on the right side of your liner fabric. 


Next, pull off the paper back and adhere the cereal bag to the fabric.  I did this by placing the cereal bag onto the fabric.  I used the paper from the adhesive as a protector.  Lay it on top of the cereal bag and iron. 


Now fold each rectangle in half lengthwise.  Cut out a 1/2 square off of the bottom corners along the fold. 



Cut a strip of Velcro 7 inches long.  Sew each side of Velcro about 1/2 inch from the top.  The first bag I made I did it about 1 inch down.  I prefer it a little closer without the cereal bag at the top. Sew the Velcro on leaving a 1/4 of fabric on each side.


Now sew your seams.  Fold bag in half right sides together and sew the seams on each side using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.


Now you make your box bottom by bringing the seam to the corner.  Trim to make it even and sew a seam leaving a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  I go back and forth on this seam several times to ensure it stays put!


Sew the seams on the outside fabric in the same way. 



Turn the outside fabric right side out.  Put it inside the liner fabric.  Line up the seams and sew around the top using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Leave a section 2-3 inches long open so you can turn the bag.


Turn the bag right side out.  Then top stitch around the edge stitching close to the edge. Your snack bag is now done!!  It truly is water proof.  My kids used it once and I rinsed it out.  I filled it up with water and sat it in the sink.  The outside never got wet.  You could drink out of it!!  You really can't store  liquid in it because it would seep out of the Velcro, but it will keep wet things in there without getting other things wet and sticky.





After making the first bag  my kids started fighting over it.  So I had to quickly make another one.  As you can see the bags are slightly different.  The first one I cut a 15 in x 7 in rectangle.  The second one I cut a 14 in x 7 1/2 in rectangle.  I prefer that size better.  The black bag is the second one which I gave the directions and dimensions for. 




 



4 comments:

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

I am going to try these. I really like the idea, I'm just a bit nervous. I'm not the best at following directions.

Kathryn D. Duke said...

these are fantastic...thanks for posting!!

kristystarfire said...

Is there a way to make this without sewing? I can't sew!

Sherry said...

cool idea! I like all of the variety on your blog. Now following along!
I would love a visit from you!
Sherry's Bees Nest