Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sunbutter Spread

Growing up near Amish country we had the privelage of tasting that wonderful thing called Amish Peanut Butter spread.  Oh how I love this.  I have made it before at home and just sat and ate it on everything.  My boys both have peanut allergies.  So I decided to try and make it with sunbutter.  It turned out wonderful and tastes great.  It tastes very similar to peanut butter.  Unfortunately it did not pass the test with my boys.  They have never liked any peanut substitute.  Does not matter what I try.  I guess if they grew up eating it maybe they would like it.  But a lot of these substitutes are rather new and my very picky eater won't try anything new. So I made this on the sly.  Did not tell them what was in it and had them try it.  Neither one liked it very well.  Oh well at least I tried.  I think it tastes great and so does my husband.  So I guess we will eat this batch of Amish Sunbutter Spread. 
If you have peanut allergies and do like sunbutter give this recipe a try.  I think it really helps the sunbutter be more spreadable.  It tends to be very dry.  If you don't have peanut allergies, make it with peanut butter.  And you will be in for a tasty treat.  It can be eaten on bread, rolls, crackers, ice cream, etc..



Amish Sunbutter Spread
3 1/2  ounces marshmallow creme
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup dark corn syrup or molasses (I used molasses)
1 cup sunbutter
1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
dash of salt

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Store in a container with a lid.    Enjoy!!

I am linking to Frugal Days Sustainable Ways


2 comments:

Michelle said...

What is sun butter?

Creations by Dina said...

Sunbutter is a peanut butter alternative that is made out of sunflower seeds. It tastes better than soybutter made out of soybeans.