Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Water Bottles

Water bottles are great.  They can be reused and help keep all those plastic water bottles out of our landfills.  Everyone in my family has a water bottle. 

The reason I bought them was to save money.  I used to buy juice pouches or flavored water pouches for the boys all the time.  I also like the convenience of having a water bottle.  Our bottles holds almost 32 ounces of water.  It is nice to have because with home schooling we go on a lot of trips and hikes.  They also go to a home school gym class and I would rather have them drink out of their own water bottle than to drink from the water fountain.  In the summer we are constantly using them when we are outside gardening and doing activities.  I will bring a big jug of water along and they can refill their bottle as needed.  It also makes it easier to get your recommended daily amount of water. Depending on the size of your water bottle filling it up a couple of times will give you your daily needed amount. 

The one main down fall to water bottles is they are a magnet for mold and bacteria just like the humidifiers.  Especially if you have one that has a straw in it.  I make sure that I clean our water bottles every time we use them with soap and water.  If we are using them every day I then will clean them once a week in some bleach.  I pour a small amount of bleach in the water bottle and fill it with water.  If it has a straw I put the straw inside it to soak too.  I also will fill a bowl or the sink up with a solution of bleach water to soak the lids in.  This will remove any mold that is beginning to form and disinfect your water bottles.  After they have soaked in the bleach water I rinse them out well and rewash them in dish soap.  Keeping them clean helps keep my family healthy.  And does not take away from the benefits of having a water bottle.

Water bottles have become a huge trend.  You can find them in all shapes and sizes.  Insulated or not.  Some have filters in them.  They can be made of plastic or metal.  You can spend as little as $1 all the way up to $20 and sometimes more on them.  They are so many choices that there is no excuse not to have one.

So get out your water bottle and keep it filled.  Even though it is winter you still need to stay hydrated.  Those nasty colds and flu can quickly dehydrate you.  So remember use a water bottle, but KEEP IT CLEAN!!

No comments: