Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Canning Pinto Beans

Every March I can pinto beans.  I can up 4 lbs of dry pinto beans each year.  This lasts me one year and I normally run out in March.  It just happens the first time I canned them was in March so I normally run out at the end of February or the beginning of  March each year.  I like to use my pinto beans in chili, add it to taco meat, I mash them to use as refried beans, or to just plain eat.  I always can them in pints because it is the perfect amount to add to my chili or to add to 1 lb of ground venison or turkey for tacos. 

First you need to pour your beans into a large stock pot.  Either soak over night or do the quick soak method.  I do both methods depending on whether I remembered to do it the night before.  Today I did the quick soak method.  You cover you beans with 1 inch of water.  Bring the pot to a boil then put the lid on.  Turn off the heat and let sit for one hour.  To soak over night cover the beans with 1 inch of water.  Put on the lid and let sit over night. 



Drain the water off and then fill it back up with new water covering beans with 1 inch of water.  Bring back to a boil and then simmer for one hour.



Drain as much water off as possible.  Then with a slotted spoon fill your clean sterilized jars 3/4 full.  You don't want to over fill the jars.


To make juice I combine 2 quarts of tomato juice with 2 tablespoons of chopped onion, 1 tablespoon of canning salt, and 6 tablespoons of sugar.  Bring this to boil.  I fill the jars to the top of the beans.  This way I make sure I have enough juice to cover all the jars.  Then if I have enough I go back and fill the rest of the way.  If not I fill the jars the rest of the way up with boiling water.  Leaving a 1 inch head space.  If I have left over tomato juice that I canned I use that.  If not I just buy canned tomato juice.

Clean the rims of the jars well.  Boil new lids and place on the jars.  Tighten the rims. Can the pinto beans at 11 lbs pressure for a dial gauge or 10 lbs pressure for a weighted gauge for 75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts. 


Let sit on your counter for at least 12 hours to make sure they all sealed.  If any did not seal place in th fridge and use up within the week.


I am linking to Frugal Days Sustainable Ways


4 comments:

Bama Girl said...

Hi "Martha"! I love this post! I too love to can. I just now sat down after taking baked beans out of the canner to cool! I only canned four quarts, but I think that will be to my advantage cause I'll end up with more beans when I make the next batch. I didn't buy enough beans to make seven quarts so I used what I had. That way we can try them and see if we like them. I'm sure we will, though. You're newest follower! Blessings from Bama!

SparingChange said...

This is awesome! I will have to try it with the ones I have in the pantry (the bag of beans). THank you for the instructions!

bettycake said...

Is it ok to use dried beans that may have been in your cupboard for a few of months? Some recipes I've seen say not to use stored dry beans. Only fresh dried beans.

bettycake said...

Is it ok to use dried beans that may have been in my cupboard for a few months? A lot of recipes I've seen say not to use stored dry beans only fresh dried. I didn't grow any but I have a bunch of bags of store bought that were given to me a few months ago that I want to use up.