Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Pleasant Surprise

Have you ever had one of those things that totally surprised you but in a good way?  Well that happened to me today.  I made a vegetarian lunch for myself.  I am not a vegetarian but sometimes I just want something other than meat but I still want the protein.  I decided to make some Black Bean Rice Burgers for lunch.  As I was whipping them up my youngest asked what it was.  When I told him he said "eew I am not eating that"  I told him that it wasn't for him and I was just making these for myself.  I had no intention of having my kids eat them.  I just wanted one and I was going to freeze the rest for lunches for myself. 

Well, by the time I had them made the smell was too inviting and he wanted one to eat.  I had also made baked onion rings.  I am still in total shock because my youngest is my picky eater.  Due to food allergies he does not like to try new things.  He ate down one vegetable burger and asked for a second one.  My oldest ate 2 vegetable burgers too.  I did get to eat one and some onion rings.  But now they are all gone.  No quick lunches for me in the coming weeks.  At least they did not go to waste.  I am so happy that I made a healthy low fat meal that is high in protein and fiber. And that my kids ate it!!!
Maybe I should tell him more often that what I am making is not for him and maybe he will start trying more things!!

Here are the recipes for my lunch.

Black Bean Rice Burgers
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained.  (I used spicy black beans)
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I use a microwaveable pouch of long grain and wild rice, any  type of rice will work though)
1 small onion
Put these in a food processor and puree until well blended.
Remove from food processor and add 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of salsa. 
Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.  Drop 1/2 cup portions into the baking dish and flatten to about 1/2 inch.  Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until it will hold its shape when flipped.  Flip the burgers and bake another 10 - 15 minutes.  Serve on a bun with  cheese, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, or you favorite burger fixings.  These taste like a southwest burger.  They have a lot of flavor when you use the spicy black beans!!

Baked Onion Rings
Slice onions into slices and separate the rings.  Put in a bowl and cover with ice water.  Leave sit for 1/2 an hour.  Drain.  Dip onions into beaten egg and then into bread crumbs seasoned with seasoning salt.  Place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. 

2 comments:

labbie1 said...

Yum! I think I may have to try those burgers! :)

HRR said...

Liked your blog post. Your recipe sounds wonderful~* So cool and unexpected that your children wanted to taste those yummy smelling veggie burgers for themselves. May have to make some too.